can't read my hp pen drive...

R

raj1

Hi,
I have a hp 4 gb pen drive, at first it was no problem using it with the windows or mac, but recently its not working on pc. I formatted it on pc but it shows only 200mb memory, doesn't show rest of the memory.but when i put it in mac it shows 4 gb. tried formatting on mac (mac-dosfat),but no use,same it shows 4gb in mac & 200mb on pc, pls help me...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Never format a pen drive on your Mac unless it's the only place you wish to use it. You probably formatted it using the default (GUID) scheme in Disk Utility. This creates a small 200 MB partition on the drive and that's the only partition Windows will see. Mac OS X can see the entire drive. To fix it, you'll need a Windows machine and follow these instructions.

R

raj1

Thanks for reply,but I tried disk part,And when I try formatting it says windows cannot format..can u pls help me..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read the instructions that are given in the link I posted? You don't format the pen drive by using DiskPart, you first remove the offending partitions and then it can be formatted. Try again.

R

raj1

Thanks for replying again, yeah i did go by the directions.when the diskpart said disk is cleaned,i tried to format it.then it says windows was unable to complete the format.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In order to format the HP Pen drive you must first create a partition on it. Use Disk Manager to create one partition, in other words, the entire drive. Once the partition is created, format it as FAT-32. Let us know if that works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Glad you finally got it working. Just don't attempt to format it again using Disk Utility. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.