I want to Upgrade My Macbook Pro Late 08

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro, the one before the Unibody which is 250gb, 2gb ram, and 2.5ghz. I want to upgrade the RAM and HD but have some questions

1. For ram would this one be good? Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Memory for Apple Notebook Model KTA-MB667K2/4G any suggestions for a better one would be appreciated. Also I read on here: Apple MacBook Pro 15.4-inch Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz (MB134LL/A) Memory that it can have 6gb of ram! Has anyone tested this?

2. I want to upgrade my HD to 500gb. Is it possible to go even higher?
For this I don't know where to buy it from.

3. Also I have one last question, let's say I use time machine then put in new memory.
a. would I have to install osx on new memory or is that on another part?
b. how do i put every setting and stuff on the new memory? Like make it an exact image of my other memory?

thanks in advanced. sorry for all the questions but i figured that most people on here would know it :)

Reaction score
The purchase is up to you.

As for your third question:

Whether or not you use Time Machine, RAM is just RAM. All your doing is speeding up the computer. (Memory= RAM, Storage= hard disk/flash drive).

Now if you meant to say storage on that last part, then no, there's no change. But if you do use a larger hard drive, you will need to format it for a fresh install of Mac OS X. From Time Machine you should be able to bring back most of your settings. There are other options of course, but I'm not getting too much into detail- I don't know how computer literate you are.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm pretty literate. Give me a shot :). I need alot of RAM for gaming and keeping 5 programs open at same time. I dunno if I should risk getting 4gb and 2gb if I haven't seen it tested

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.