Did I Pick Up Some Malware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC
I must have clicked on something or went to a bad website, but every once in a while a voice comes on and says something about "pest control" or something. It comes very randomly. I ran Onyx, but it is still happening. There does not seem to be anything minimized. I closed Safari and reopened but it is still happening. I hope it is not a virus or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That is "weird".

If it is a virus, you are going to be famous for being the first person using a Mac to get a virus. Congratulations!

Reaction score
Sounds like you may've exploited something.

Options? Reinstall Mac OS X.

Which reminds me, what version of Mac OS X are you running and on what type of computer? ;)

Reaction score
You mention Safari, so is this happening only when you use Safari or even when you don't have your browser open? Try resetting Safari via the Safari menu, or at least clear the cache.

If it's malware you're concerned about you could download and run iAntivirus or the trial of Macscan.

One more thing, is your system up to date? How about your version of flash? The version of flash in the last combo update wasn't the most up to date version of flash back then, and now it would be several versions behind. One version of flash that wasn't in the combo update contained fixes to what Adobe and others called critical security flaws. I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but no matter what I think it's good for anyone still using flash to make sure they have the latest version.

Reaction score
You mention Safari, so is this happening only when you use Safari or even when you don't have your browser open? Try resetting Safari via the Safari menu, or at least clear the cache.

If it's malware you're concerned about you could download and run iAntivirus or the trial of Macscan.

One more thing, is your system up to date? How about your version of flash? The version of flash in the last combo update wasn't the most up to date version of flash back then, and now it would be several versions behind. One version of flash that wasn't in the combo update contained fixes to what Adobe and others called critical security flaws. I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but no matter what I think it's good for anyone still using flash to make sure they have the latest version.

Along those lines, if you're running a modern day Mac (Leopard/Snow Leopard) with Safari 5, try disabling your extensions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try going into Safari Preferences, clear cache, cookies and history and see if that gets rid of 'the voice'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Just mute the volume. Problem solved :)

C

chas_m

It's not a virus, because there aren't any.

I like how you say you "closed" Safari rather than "quit" Safari. That might be the first clue right there.

Does a restart of the machine clear up the issue? Does it only happen when running Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I agree with the previous posters that it sounds like something in the cookies or an object that's hung somehow...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.