Movies and TV not purchased from iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz 8GB; 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB; iPad; iPodTouch 2gen; Airport Ext.
Three questions about movies/programs not purchased from iTunes.

(1) If I am streaming a movie from Netflix, will AppleTV stream it to my TV? If

(2) If I have downloaded a movie from Netflix to my computer HDD, will AppleTV stream it to my TV?

(3) If I have a DVD movie playing in my computer, will AppleTV stream it to my TV?

C

chas_m

Three questions about movies/programs not purchased from iTunes.

(1) If I am streaming a movie from Netflix, will AppleTV stream it to my TV?

No.

(2) If I have downloaded a movie from Netflix to my computer HDD, will AppleTV stream it to my TV?

If it's a) iTunes-compatible and b) copyable, then yes. I can't see Netflix doing this for piracy reasons, but I'm not a customer so I don't know.

(3) If I have a DVD movie playing in my computer, will AppleTV stream it to my TV?

No. But a number of DVDs now come with a "digital copy" of the film included on the disc (kind of like if you had "ripped" it to MP4 format yourself). Move this "digital copy" into iTunes and it will stream to your AppleTV just fine.

I think you misunderstand what AppleTV is about; maybe a read of Apple's web page about the product will enlighten you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
(2) A good way to have your Netflix account cancelled - if you can figure out a way to do it that is.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53GHz 8GB; 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB; iPad; iPodTouch 2gen; Airport Ext.
Thanks for your help.

Right you are, I didn't understand Apple TV. After reading Apple's description several times, I was clear that it works with iTunes. But, Apple doesn't say what it won't do. I do know iTunes is proprietary and could draw the inferences you've confirmed. I just wanted to be sure and I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Oh, and that's a fun way to save a tree.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.