Strange Sleep Behavior

Reaction score
Just got a new 2010 macbook and the weird thing is that every time I put the notebook to sleep it seems to go into deep sleep within an hour or so. Lately it went after a few minutes of being closed. All the times that it's doing this it was put to sleep with full battery and still had most left when opened back up. My last macbook didn't do this, and would only revert to deep sleep when it was almost out of battery? Do I need to get this checked out? Is any one else experiencing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, go over your Energy Saver settings in System Preferences to make sure you have everything set correctly. If the machine continues to enter deep sleep, try doing a SMC reset. If that doesn't work, make an appointment with your local Apple genius bar to have it looked at.

OP
U
Reaction score
Took it Back

Took back the Macbook pro, which apple switched for a completely new one since it had only been about 8 days. Here's another question though, the new macbook that I just received seems to also have a strange problem. I notice it very rarely, but there have been a few times when the screen will flash to dim and back to light after sitting for a minute or so. It's like it tried to go to the slightly dim before sleep brightness, but snaps right back. Anyone else experiencing this problem? The last one I had did this as well, but just a lot more than this one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear Apple gave you a new MBP. As for your question about the screen dimming and going bright again, that's probably being caused by the Ambient Light Sensor on your MBP. The behavior is normal. Take a look at this LINK to learn how to control it.

OP
U
Reaction score
Not Sure

I understand that it adjusts brightness according to the light surrounding with a sensor, but what I'm experiencing isn't an adjustment but rather a flash from bright to dim to bright very quickly and rare but about once a day.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still sounds like it's the Ambient Light Sensor. Try turning it off altogether and see what happens. If the same occurs, it's back to the Apple store again. :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.