Ipad for college notes?

Reaction score
I'm currently using my Macbook but right now it's having problems randomly going into sleep mode when not on a power supply. I was wondering how practical the Ipad would be w/ the apple external keyboard for notetaking? I'd use it for other purposes as well but is it really a good alternative for notes?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm currently using my Macbook but right now it's having problems randomly going into sleep mode when not on a power supply.

Adjust your "Energy Saver" settings within "System Preferences"...and your Macbook won't go to sleep.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
tried that and it doesn't work. the cpu goes to sleep only when not on power supply and it may do it one every 15minutes or back to back to back every time i wake it up. SUCKS!!!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried that and it doesn't work. the cpu goes to sleep only when not on power supply and it may do it one every 15minutes or back to back to back every time i wake it up. SUCKS!!!!!

Do you have all the "Energy Saver" settings dragged all the way to the right...where it says "Never"?

- Nick

Reaction score
honestly, you wouldn't need the external keyboard with the ipad for notes. after a couple weeks of using it, you'll realize that the external is not worth the extra baggage. The ONLY thin I bring to my classes is my ipad in the apple case, using the typing angle with the case in my lap or on a desk.

The on-screen keyboard really is quite good, and this is coming from someone who can't own a iphone because my hands are too big for the keyboard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree. I watched my friend today type on his using the on screen keyboard and it seemed fairly easy to do. I would probably opt for the Apple keyboard to use at home or in the office. But for on the road or in class taking notes, the keyboard is only going to add to what you have to carry around.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. I watched my friend today type on his using the on screen keyboard and it seemed fairly easy to do.

Something I wanted to hear...since an iPad is definitely in my future!:)

I would probably opt for the Apple keyboard to use at home or in the office. But for on the road or in class taking notes, the keyboard is only going to add to what you have to carry around.

Great point! Carrying a keyboard to use with an iPad would certainly take away from the portability/light weight of the iPad. Might as well carry a laptop then!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I agree. I watched my friend today type on his using the on screen keyboard and it seemed fairly easy to do. I would probably opt for the Apple keyboard to use at home or in the office. But for on the road or in class taking notes, the keyboard is only going to add to what you have to carry around.

True, but have you ever carried around even a 13" MacBook before? It's a bit more heavier than the iPad. Of course, I don't have an iPad, and don't really need one right now, but it would be nice to have anyway.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
True, but have you ever carried around even a 13" MacBook before? It's a bit more heavier than the iPad. Of course, I don't have an iPad, and don't really need one right now, but it would be nice to have anyway.

;D I lugged a monster Dell notebook around for several years while doing field work and computer repairs for the US Govt. That thing felt like a lead weight around my shoulders when going thru airports. Can't remember its exact weight, but my 13" MacBook feels like a feather compared to it.

I agree an iPad is great and I honestly would love to have one - but for now they're a bit too expensive for me and realistically, it couldn't replace my MacBook for what I need it for. However, as I mentioned before, I'm looking forward to the iPad 2nd generation which we should see sometime next year.

Reaction score
No way on an ipad for taking notes - it would be pretty cumbersome. Stick with your laptop...

I'm sure its possible to type on it, I can do shorter emails no problem...but its not much of a work tool, its a toy (a great toy at that!)

Reaction score
That is exactly what I use my iPad for, taking notes during my college class. It works great. Turn it length wise (for the bigger size keyboard and start typing). I love it.

Ed:D

Reaction score
I use mine in meetings for taking notes look at the audionote app it is worth the $5.00 price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I reckon the laptop question is a bit of a chicken and egg one.

Do I not take mine everywhere becuase I don't need to, or because it's heavy and inconvenient?

To call it a notebook is dubious. Phonebook maybe . . .

The iPad really is notebook sized/weight. Mine goes everywhere with me. Still not sure I can type as fast on this as I can on a real keyboard though. Having said that it's way faster than an iPhone or blackberry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Real Life experience

No way on an ipad for taking notes - it would be pretty cumbersome. Stick with your laptop...

I'm sure its possible to type on it, I can do shorter emails no problem...but its not much of a work tool, its a toy (a great toy at that!)

The iPad is great for taking notes and meeting minutes, but there is a learning curve so I found out.
During one of our company meetings I was taking notes on my iPad in parallel with a company secretary. When we compared notes afterwards here's what we found:
1) My notes only contained half of the meeting because I was focussed on the keyboard and not on listening to the conversation.
2) The notes I took contained a lot of typing errors because of not being used to the keyboard and incorrect use of the automatic spelling and dictionary on the iPad.

I worked on that and learned how to better use the iPad and 2 weeks later we did the same thing again and my notes were ' approved ' by the company secretary as being accurate and complete with an acceptable level of typo's ( Whatever that means )
What I did to improve was I had my daughter read Harry Potter aloud and I typed that on the iPad. ( btw..... I hate Harry Potter -:)

So it can be done !

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score

If I ever get an iPad, I'm getting the bluetooth keyboard for it as well. I have tried typing on the screen. Just..ugh cumbersome. I'm sure it'll take getting used to, but not for me right now.

Reaction score
If I ever get an iPad, I'm getting the bluetooth keyboard for it as well. I have tried typing on the screen. Just..ugh cumbersome. I'm sure it'll take getting used to, but not for me right now.

An ipad with an external keyboard? sounds like a macbook with 1/3rd the functions..;D

Reaction score
An ipad with an external keyboard? sounds like a macbook with 1/3rd the functions..;D

I know, it sounds ironic. But when I need to do notes, I'd prefer a physical keyboard so I can accurately type. I mean, I would appreciate a button buzz (when you push a key on the virtual keyboard the device makes a brief buzz), but I think Apple left this out because it's too bulky and too expensive..and sucks up battery life.

Reaction score
That is exactly what I use my iPad for, taking notes during my college class. It works great. Turn it length wise (for the bigger size keyboard and start typing). I love it.

Ed:D

Exactly, I use my iPad for college as well and so far it has been awesome! If you can touch type then you should have no problems using the iPad for note taking. Yes, it is not as same as your laptop but it does bridge the gap enough to make it a useful tool. I even have PowerPoint lectures from my professors downloaded into my iPad for review before attending the seminars. It all goes on how you decide to use it. There's so much potential here:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.