Macbook goes to sleep at random?

Reaction score
So as of late I've been having this problem where my Macbook likes to go to sleep randomly while I'm doing minimal tasks (surfing the web/ word documents/ itunes). It wouldn't be so bad if I just woke it up and the problem wouldn't occur again for a few hrs (which it sometimes does) but yesterday, for example, i was taking notes in micro and my cpu went to sleep 7 times in 10minutes and i'm sure the people next to me really loved hearing my optical drive every few seconds when I woke it up. Now sometimes this problem won't occur for a day or two but then I'll have days where it seems to occur all day.

Now here's the catch:
This problem has "NEVER" occurred when hooked up to the power adapter charging. If I get to class early enough at least I can depend on getting next to a wall outlet BUT i shouldn't have to depend on this every time. I have swapped batteries with the gf and the problem still occurs. It's very frustrating because outside of that.... this last 2007 Macbook has given me absolutely no problems but I'm getting really frustrated.

Anyone know what this is???

OP
B
Reaction score
ok so worst case scenario the logic board needs to be replaced.... which i just assume buy a new macbook unibody.

best case scenario it's the battery connector sleep sensor. does this seem possible? i mean the problem only occurs when i'm not hooked up to the battery charger. that's the only thing that gives me hope it isnt the whole logic board.... that's a pricey repair

Reaction score
I would think it would be the battery, but if you swapped batteries and it didn't change the problem then I would suspect that it is something wrong with your Mb. Are you using anything magnetic really close to your computer? I know the newer macs trigger sleep through magnets in the lid, that's the only other thing I could think of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.