Please Help

Reaction score
Hi, i have recently brought a Mac OS X off a guy. He had an admin account and conveniently forgot the password. To use the computer i have been logging into a guest account but i have got no access to system prefrences, most programs and i cannot download and install anything on the computer without inserting the 'Administrators' password.

I decided i would try and create my own Administrators account. I tried the 'command-s' on the start up and it does not work. i decided to try the Mac disk but when i started the computer up with the disk inside it a lock come up on the screen and requested administrator password to use the disk.
i am sick of not being able to use the laptop the way i want to and am really not liking the amount of money a wasted to get this laptop.

Can someone please give me an idea on how to create an administrator account on my computer. Thank you in advance for any advice or help you can give me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like it has a firmware password if you need a password to boot from the disc. Sorry to say, if that's the case, you have a pretty useless computer.

Here is how you reset the admin password - if that asks for a password when you reboot, you're hosed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a feeling Chas is correct and it's a stolen computer. Try what Bob said and if that does not work, it's probably hotter than fire!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanx for all the replys. I will try that link and hopefully it works. If not i will take it to an IT person and hope he/she can fix it. Thankyou again :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To add to what the others have written.....

If the machine was stolen and somehow has been protected by a firmware password, there's not much the IT folks are going to be able to do. You might want to do the right thing and try to find out who the machine belongs to. You can do that by checking with Apple. (They will need the serial number.)

OP
R
Reaction score
Please Help.

Hey everyone,

My mac is protected by EFI macbook firmware. In order for me to disable it i need to know the admin password and for those of you who read my last thread would know about my situation. Does anyone know a password retrieval that they would be able to give me so i can get in and disable firmware.

It would be a great help if you could post me some links ASAP.

Thank you for alll your help

Regards, Rosekonerr.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads. There is no need to start a new thread on the same topic. It also has nothing to do with the iPhone iOS, so it has been moved to the proper forum also.

Reaction score
Hi

If I stole a computer and found it password protected the FIRST thing I would do would be to come onto a user forum and make up a story about buying it from a man who "forgot" his password - I mean why buy this computer if the vendor cant demonstrate it to you before purchace because he "forgot" his password?

The OP should go back and get his money back or do the decent thing - as been sugested!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey everyone,

My mac is protected by EFI macbook firmware. In order for me to disable it i need to know the admin password and for those of you who read my last thread would know about my situation. Does anyone know a password retrieval that they would be able to give me so i can get in and disable firmware.

It would be a great help if you could post me some links ASAP.

Thank you for alll your help

Regards, Rosekonerr.

I have no reason to believe that you are not being honest... There are several methods for disabling a firmware password. Try the method given in this LINK first. Take note that it requires removing a memory module so be sure that you know how to do that.

If the above method does not work, your only other choice is to take it on in to an authorized Apple repair\reseller or Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And they, the Apple dealers/resellers, will check the serial number out against lists of stolen Macs for you. Had a Dual Core stolen in transit some years ago and that is how it was traced

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.