Damaged MacBook Pro Case!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" c.2007
Hi - I dropped my briefcase, and apparently it didn't provide enough protection--the corner of my New MacBook Pro is damaged. The MagSafe power and other ports are fine, but the ethernet cable port is not usable due to deformation of the aluminum body.

Does anyone know if I can get a new aluminum body through Apple?

Thanks,
Kevin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does anyone know if I can get a new aluminum body through Apple?

We would probably need to know what aluminum MacBook Pro you have...whether it's an older style aluminum case or a unibody.

You should be able to get the parts you need from Apple...there are other sources for parts as well. You may be surprised thought how much the parts cost.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Ifixit.com sells the body cases for around 50-90 dollars I believe depending on model.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a random parts search for a 15" Macbook Pro on iFixit (since we don't know the exact model).

For the non-unibody:

- rear display bezel (outer/upper case half with the Apple logo on it) is $79.99
- bottom case (part with the battery door)...$239.95

For a unibody 15" MBP. Number of available parts seem to depend on the exact model:

- lower case $199.95
- upper case doesn't seem to be available for unibody MBP's

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I did a random parts search for a 15" Macbook Pro on iFixit (since we don't know the exact model).

For the non-unibody:

- rear display bezel (outer/upper case half with the Apple logo on it) is $79.99
- bottom case (part with the battery door)...$239.95

For a unibody 15" MBP. Number of available parts seem to depend on the exact model:

- lower case $199.95
- upper case doesn't seem to be available for unibody MBP's

- Nick

That's quite steep. >_<" I would use that cash towards a new machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's quite steep. >_<" I would use that cash towards a new machine.

If the parts were under $100-$200...I would say do the replacement (depending on the model & it's current value). From the OP's description...it sounds like the damage is mostly cosmetic...with the ethernet port not accessible due to the bent body. Personally, I would get a small flat-tipped screwdriver or a needle nose pliers...and try to bend the aluminum to make the ethernet port accessible. If it's a Unibody MBP...this may be harder.

The case is already bent...so any extra cosmetic scratches from the tools probably wouldn't be a "biggie".;)

I know folks don't like the "ugly" cosmetic issues...but those replacement parts can be pretty pricey. Even more if a "professional" needs to install the part(s).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know folks don't like the "ugly" cosmetic issues...but those replacement parts can be pretty pricey. Even more if a "professional" needs to install the part(s).

Good point Nick. There's a lot "more" to replacing case parts on a unibody than meets the eye. I'm not sure I would attempt it - just looking at the breakdown on ifixit.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point Nick. There's a lot "more" to replacing case parts on a unibody than meets the eye. I'm not sure I would attempt it - just looking at the breakdown on ifixit.

Slightly off topic. I removed/installed what's called the "uppercase" on two 13" polycarbonate Macbooks a couple of days ago. This is the housing part that includes the keyboard, trackpad, and trackpad button...and this is the main part that usually suffers the housing cracks in the palm rest area that many Macbook owners have experienced.

img

I think that there were something like 21 screws (various sizes), 1 ribbon cable, and a lot of TLC needed to get this part separated from the rest of the computer.

MacBook Santa Rosa/Penryn Upper Case with Keyboard (922-9550, 922-8264, 922-8265, 661-5075, 661-5076) - iFixit

Hopefully the OP's Macbook Pro is not a unibody model...seems that the MBP unibody parts are harder to come by.

I also followed the ifixit.com installation procedure for the parts...and it went fine.

- Nick

OP
kpbarbee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" c.2007
Hi All--thanks for the big help! What a great resource this forum is. iFixit.com is also a great resource--thanks!

I have the latest Unibody 15" MacBook Pro. It looks like the both the upper and lower cases are damaged, and the parts are $199 and $299 respectively, or $542 with tax and shipping, from iFixIt--not sure I'm up to the task (Mr. Fumbles). Apple can repair it for me so I will take it in for an estimate, but it's not covered under AppleCare.

Thanks for your help everyone!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the latest Unibody 15" MacBook Pro. It looks like the both the upper and lower cases are damaged, and the parts are $199 and $299 respectively, or $542 with tax and shipping, from iFixIt--not sure I'm up to the task (Mr. Fumbles). Apple can repair it for me so I will take it in for an estimate, but it's not covered under AppleCare.

If the parts from iFixit cost $542...you can bet that they will cost more from Apple...and then add the labor to install the parts...and you're talking a number that financially would not be too favorable. Maybe we're talking at least $750 or more. That's half the price of a new laptop...to basically fix a cosmetic issue (except for the ethernet port).

Financially...these sort of repairs rarely ever make sense.:(

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Nick's estimate of what it would cost is probably a bit conservative. Out of curiosity, post back and let us know what kind of $$ repair estimate Apple gives you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the OP:

Nick's estimate of what it would cost is probably a bit conservative. Out of curiosity, post back and let us know what kind of $$ repair estimate Apple gives you.

You're probably right! I'm not sure what Apple charges for parts, how much they charge/hour for labor, and how much time they charge for the parts needing installation.

kpbarbee: I would also be very interested in Apple's repair estimate if you decide to pursue the repair.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked up the hourly labor cost at an average Apple store (they're all a bit different depending on location) = As of Feb 2010 the labor cost was $100.00 per hour for items not under warranty.

I'm not sure how long it would take to replace both covers, but with the cost of parts and estimating about two hours of labor, it would be around $742.00, maybe a bit higher. So it looks like you were real close Nick. ;D

Of course, if I were doing it, it would probably take me all night. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I As of Feb 2010 the labor cost was $100.00 per hour for items not under warranty.

I'm not sure how long it would take to replace both covers, but with the cost of parts and estimating about two hours of labor, it would be around $742.00, maybe a bit higher. So it looks like you were real close Nick. ;D

Of course, if I were doing it, it would probably take me all night. :p

Just dumb luck on my part!;) The other possible "wild card" in this repair estimate would be if Apple charged more or significantly more for the parts vs. iFixit.

Slightly off topic...but relating to the quality of the repairs at an Apple Store. I bought a Macbook last week which still had warranty left on it...and got the display bezel & the upper case replaced (the part with the keyboard, palm rest, trackpad, etc.)...these are the items that most often suffer from the case cracking that Apple has agreed to replace. Both the replacement display bezel & the upper case were not installed properly.

To add to this...I purchased an iMac G5 a few weeks ago from a guy who's computer was suffering from kernel panics/freezing. He took it to the Apple Store, they replaced the ram, and the kernel panics continued. He decided he was tired of the problems, and I purchased it...assuming that it could be a "doorstop"!;) Turns out the Apple Store installed the wrong ram. It was ram from Crucial...and Crucial confirmed it was the wrong ram (based on the part number on the ram).

So what I'm saying is (at least when it comes to my local Apple Store)...the repair quality (for the high prices you pay)...may not be the best. I'm sure many many folks have had positive repair results...just a little weird that I've run into a couple "duds".

- Nick

p.s. The repairs the OP needs would probably take me all night as well. Since I would be SUPER DUPER slow & careful...especially if there are a lot of screws to keep track of. And of course the first time you do a repair always takes longer...the 2nd time around you can probably do it in like half the time or faster.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.