Why do I need an iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Ok....I'll admit that I want one. But I can't for the life of me come up with a situation that I would use it in. I have 5 macs... 2 iMacs, 2 MacBooks, and a mini htpc. My MacBook Pro goes almost everywhere with me. I take it to work and it constantly stays by my side at home. My hatred for at&t has kept me from having an iPhone, so I have the evo 4g on sprint (that i tether to the MBP when on the go). There are very few times in my life that my MBP becomes cumbersome. But all that being said, I wish I could find a reason to buy one. Most of my time at work is spent on ichat, internet research, and casual surfing. I usually spend 6 hours a day at work on the internet and with open chat sessions. Do any of you actually think that I would end up taking the iPad off to work and leaving the MBP at home? Can you stand to chat for hours with the on screen keyboard? Is the internet experience on par with a laptop? Is it that much more convenient to carry than a 13" MBP?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Can't speak for everyone but I'm pretty comfortable typing on the on screen keyboard. I thought it would be difficult but after a few minutes it's almost like second nature.

I also thought that it would be difficult to use as well at first. I felt that way about texting on an iPhone. Considering I'm actually only using one finger to type most of the time. ^-^"

It does seem tempting to just bring a iPad to work if that's all you are doing and don't require the power of a MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok....I'll admit that I want one. But I can't for the life of me come up with a situation that I would use it in.

I can think of two responses to this:

1. If you can't find a reason to buy one...then don't get one!

2. On the other hand...does EVERY item you own (or have ever purchased)...always had a distinct logical purpose?...I bet not. Sometimes we just get things because they're fun!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I had pre ordered an Ipad and cancelled at the last minute. I could not justify the purchase. It doesn't mean I wont get one later on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I had pre ordered an Ipad and cancelled at the last minute. I could not justify the purchase. It doesn't mean I wont get one later on.

You could always wait a while until the price of used iPads comes down...then the price you pay may not be as "painful" for something (iPad) that you may or may not "need".

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good friend of mine just purchased a 3G iPad fully loaded (64GB) to use for his work. He's kind of a gadget freak anyway and so carries it around along with his "smart phone", Sony VAIO notebook, and so on. Last time we were together at Starbucks he had a medium sized airline carry case with wheels where he packed all his "stuff".

To get closer to the topic of discussion.... I asked why he needed the Sony notebook when he had the iPad. His answer was that the iPad could not do everything the Sony was able to do, but it was more convenient to do some things and that's why he carries both.

I'm of the same feeling with brairden. I would love to have one - they're so neat! - but do I really need one? Nope. I priced out a 64 GB 3G model for fun and it came to around $900 including local taxes. Not worth it to me. Maybe I'll change my mind when iPad version 2 hits the stores sometime next year. O:)

OP
brairden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I'll change my mind when iPad version 2 hits the stores sometime next year. O:)

That is what I am thinking. Hold out until the new generation comes out, and then pick up a 1st gen cheap. I think that is the plan, unless I catch a great deal on craigslist sometime.

Reaction score
Well....you can play with hot new items like ipads then just sell them...

If you buy a $500 base model ipad right away you get to satisfy the tech itch you may have AND sell it for a good $400 when the next model comes out.

I prefer to buy the latest and new, have my fun while in warranty, then sell it. Apple product under 2 years old have good return.

Costs a few bucks but keeps the hobby rolling.

Reaction score
Good friend of mine just purchased a 3G iPad fully loaded (64GB) to use for his work. He's kind of a gadget freak anyway and so carries it around along with his "smart phone", Sony VAIO notebook, and so on. Last time we were together at Starbucks he had a medium sized airline carry case with wheels where he packed all his "stuff".

To get closer to the topic of discussion.... I asked why he needed the Sony notebook when he had the iPad. His answer was that the iPad could not do everything the Sony was able to do, but it was more convenient to do some things and that's why he carries both.

I'm of the same feeling with brairden. I would love to have one - they're so neat! - but do I really need one? Nope. I priced out a 64 GB 3G model for fun and it came to around $900 including local taxes. Not worth it to me. Maybe I'll change my mind when iPad version 2 hits the stores sometime next year. O:)

You should get him to switch to Apple's MacBook Pro line. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You obviously technically don't need one. If you are Jonsing for one, however, I'd wait for the second gen device, which will undoubtedly have a front facing camera for video chatting. That alone is worth waiting for IMO.

I personally feel that the iPad line is overpriced for what they offer, considering that for $100 more, you can buy an Macbook vs the 64 gig 3G iPad. I just don't get that, at all. $350 should be the price of the base model IMO, and prices should only increase in increments of $50-$75.

Also, since you're with Sprint and can tether with your EVO, why not forget the 3G model and just Jailbreak the iPad for tethering capabilities ? Then you'd really be cookin'. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can think of two responses to this:

1. If you can't find a reason to buy one...then don't get one!

2. On the other hand...does EVERY item you own (or have ever purchased)...always had a distinct logical purpose?...I bet not. Sometimes we just get things because they're fun!:)

- Nick

I'm in the same boat really. I tried to find a reason to buy an ipad. I really did. But all I came up with was "It's an awesome Apple product and it'd be really fun to own". But laying down $800 for just something fin I can't afford. I'd need a real reason for it. So in that vein I am in the waiting category.

Mind you a 3G ipad is like half or a little more of an imac. Price wise. And I really do need a new main computer. So think. If fun is ok with you, sure get the ipad. But if you really want a purpose maybe saving to some more for that new main computer might just be a better option.

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm new on the forum and this thread has caught my attention straight away, for obvious reasons... Been thinking about the same thing. Even had dreams about it... But seriously;

The iPad can be as revolutionary and magic as Apple says it is... if only one tried to actually explore its capabilities beyond the benchmark we all seem to have in common - "it is FUN and so cool".

It is pricey (... half imac, and more expensive than a mac mini... WOW!) but then all portable devices tend to be more expensive, right? I mean, consider the price of the iphone 4. And I wouldn't compare it to laptops since they would fit different purposes; but for the most common usage, carrying tasks like browsing the web and email and some social networking applications, the ipad will seem more fun and convenient since portability is easier, better and again, looks so cool.

Productivity also comes in with the iWork apps available at the app store. And yes on screen keyboard does not seem more practical than any notebook; but if you are working you will most likely find yourself indoors, at a desk... and for that, the keyboard dock works amazingly. I tried it and it makes the whole experience even better. (some say that the wireless keyboard is also "iPadable" - not sure about that, but surely would be so sweeeet if it was...) - And it is lol, just saw this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpIxOBgnTxc

So, getting back to the question, if you already have an iMac and/or a MBP, I think the iPad is worth it if only we find the right applications to suit our lifestyle. Different people, different needs, different ways... and the iPad can surely adjust to most of them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok guys, I'm new on the forum and this thread has caught my attention straight away, for obvious reasons...

Welcome to the forums. Good post for the first one, BTW.

Enjoy your time with us and have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 5,5
Ah, I too am having this self-debate with myself! I just can't justify the price! I know I will definitely be buying an iPhone 4, but once I have that will I actually have any need for an iPad. I'm so in love with the device purely because of the browsing experience!

Reaction score
Well, I can't say that I "need" my iPad, but I find it to be so useful, and I rarely use my personal laptop now that I have the iPad. The screen size makes it more usable than my iPhone4, and I can carry it everywhere far more easily than my laptop. I can carry it everywhere in the house: if I need to look up something on the internet, pay a bill, buy movie tickets, read a book, check my bank account, check up on my newsfeeds, post stuff on Facebook, look up something on Youtube, get directions on Google Maps, watch a TV show or a movie, play pinball, make notes or to do's, set up a Calendar appointment or reminder, I've got the iPad nearby. Yes, I can do these things on my iPhone, but the big screen makes the experience more usable and enjoyable for me.

I've tried using my laptop in my recliner, but I find it cumbersome, and I have to think about the battery. The iPad sits on a table next to me, and as I think of something, I can pick it up, turn it on instantly (no boot up time), and use it all day without the battery dying.

Do you need it? No. If I didn't have the funds for an iPad and a laptop, I'd get the laptop. I bet, though, that if you picked up an iPad at Best Buy (they've stopped charging restocking fees for these items), and if you carried it with you for two weeks that you wouldn't return it. :) I don't need it, but I'm glad that I have it.

Recently, I hooked up a Mac Mini to my HDTV, and I use an iPad app as a wireless keyboard and trackpad. It's kind of nice having a 60" Mac (maybe a Mac Maxi? Maxi Pad? oops).

OP
brairden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Recently, I hooked up a Mac Mini to my HDTV, and I use an iPad app as a wireless keyboard and trackpad. It's kind of nice having a 60" Mac (maybe a Mac Maxi? Maxi Pad? oops).

Wow....you really hit the nail on the head there. I also have a mini HTPC hooked to a 60" Sony. Now you have me very intrigued. Does the mini recognize it as a multi touch trackpad? And is there remote desktop software as well?

Reaction score
the mini does recognize the ipad as a multi-touch trackpad. I use the Rowmote pro app and the trackpad is amazing, it even has pinch to zoom (and it works smoothly and adjusts text resolution, like on the iPad).

OP
brairden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well....after constant searches on Craiglook for a few weeks I finally found a deal on one and bought it today. I purchased a 32gb wifi only for $425. It was purchased at Best Buy on June 28th. Got a couple scratches on the back, but nothing bad.

I have never owned an IOS device before, so if anyone out there wants to suggest "apps that I HAVE to have", I will be listening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Well....after constant searches on Craiglook for a few weeks I finally found a deal on one and bought it today. I purchased a 32gb wifi only for $425. It was purchased at Best Buy on June 28th. Got a couple scratches on the back, but nothing bad.

I have never owned an IOS device before, so if anyone out there wants to suggest "apps that I HAVE to have", I will be listening.

iBooks,ABC Player,Google,Shazam,The Weather Channel,Weather Bug,Nasa,World Atlas (National Geographic)

Reaction score
Is it true they plan to release a Microsoft office app, and support for printers later this year? If so it might be time to sell my macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.