Why does my battery drain when I dont use it it

Reaction score
Ever since i got the new update my itouch 2g loses its battery when its sleepmode. i understand it will lose battery everntually but i know that not the problem. i dont know what the problem is, do i need to turn it off?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you sleep the display, your iPod is still checking mail and apps that get push updates still check in. If you want it to draw no current at all, turn it off.

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah i know but it seems like its losing battery faster than ever im just gonna have to keep turned off when im not using it. thanks

C

chas_m

Wouldn't it be better to just turn off "push" notifications, bluetooth (if you're not using it), and non-manual mail checking? This cuts the battery use in sleep mode down to practically nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Since its a 2nd generation iPod Touch, I gotta ask... how old is it?

From the Apple website --

Charge Cycles
A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

This information is for the newest batteries, so your older iPod Touch may start losing its ability to hold a charge well before it reaches 400 cycles. In other words, your iPod Touch may just be getting old! There's a lot of good information about maximizing your battery life here -- Apple - Batteries - iPod

Since your iPod Touch is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79 plus $6.95 shipping (subject to local tax).

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah i just turned on push and the notifications so that will help. the itouch is about a 1 1/2 years old. i dont use it that much so i dont think i would replace the battery yet.

Reaction score
iOS 4 keeps the wifi on. Just turn on Airplane Mode in the Settings menu. Or, turn off the iPod altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch, MacBook Pro 15" i5
iOS 4 keeps the wifi on. Just turn on Airplane Mode in the Settings menu. Or, turn off the iPod altogether.

Not true because I have iPod touch 2nd Gen and use wi-fi just turn it off at settings make sure push notifications, Bluetooth and mail checking is off so it doesnt use up as much battery in sleep mode

Reaction score
Not true because I have iPod touch 2nd Gen and use wi-fi just turn it off at settings make sure push notifications, Bluetooth and mail checking is off so it doesnt use up as much battery in sleep mode

I also have the same iPod touch. Running iOS 4. It keeps the wifi on when in sleep mode. Airplane mode exists in iOS 4 for iPod touch 2G, 3G and for iPhone 3GS, and 4.

<See attached>

photo.PNG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch, MacBook Pro 15" i5
I also have the same iPod touch. Running iOS 4. It keeps the wifi on when in sleep mode. Airplane mode exists in iOS 4 for iPod touch 2G, 3G and for iPhone 3GS, and 4.

<See attached>

Ohhh but Mine doesnt??? oh well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iTouch, iPod
How does one replace a battery in an iPod?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How does one replace a battery in an iPod?

Depends on the model. ifixit.com has instructions.

I just did it in a 30GB iPod Video and it wasn't terribly difficult.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.