MBP 15" i7 2.66GHz vs. MBP 13" 2.4GHz + Custom Windows Gaming Computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.66 4GB, MacBook (Black), iPod Nano 16GB 5th Gen (Red), iPod Touch 8GB 2nd Gen
MBP 15" i7 2.66GHz vs. MBP 13" 2.4GHz + Custom Windows Gaming Computer? I want to get a MBP, but don't know if to get a 15" or 13" + Custom Gaming computer. The reason why I have a custom gaming computer with the 13" MBP, is because the 13" MBP is simply not enough powerful for running any games that I would like to. Is simply the MBP 15" a better option with it's simplicity?

In the second option, the pros are the MBP 13" portability and the desktop PC power for running games (No video/audio/photo editing).

I will be using my computer(s) for video/audio/photo editing, surfing the web, posting YouTube videos and other stuff like that, but also some "hardcore" stuff like playing all the Left 4 Dead 2, Crysis, GTA IV, etc...

Custom Gaming Computer would have something like 8GB RAM, i7 2.93GHz, 2TB 7200, Blue Ray drive etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Tailing off your other thread...I have always believed in a two machine setup if you are a hardcore gamer. You can build a cheap Windoze box that will blow almost all the of Mac's away for gaming. That being said the Mac's are getting much better. I think with the Steam relationship this difference will keep getting smaller. Still there is no way to compare a notebook (or iMac for that matter) to a huge old gaming desktop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed. Gaming sucks on a laptop anyway, the form-factor just doesn't lend itself well to a good immersive experience.

I do most of my computing on a MBP. But I do maintain a Windows box for gaming. I find it liberating to be able to change my graphics card at will or swap out motherboards as new processors and technologies are released. I can't do that with a notebook (even those with upgradable GPUs offer very limited and costly options).

I'd say go with the cheaper MBP and build yourself a custom gaming rig. It's like having the best of both worlds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.