• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

EyeTV 250 Plus vs. EyeTV Hybrid vs. EyeTV HD vs. Hauppage HD PVR?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.66 4GB, MacBook (Black), iPod Nano 16GB 5th Gen (Red), iPod Touch 8GB 2nd Gen
EyeTV 250 Plus vs. EyeTV Hybrid vs. EyeTV HD vs. Hauppage HD PVR? I am currently looking for some hardware that I could record my PS3 gameplay with, and I have understood that all of the ones mentioned should do the trick, but which one does it the best, has the best features, or is just the best overall? I have 0% of experience with these, but from what i've heard, they aren't that hard to use. I want to get at least 720p out of what ever i am going to choose because I am going to put it in YouTube, and even though 1080i is also optional, it isn't so good in YouTube.

I would also have a straight question: Can I use one of those to record the screen of my Mac? I doubt it, but it would be really nice to also record Mac gaming gameplay without any lag...

If I could play through my Mac as a screen when using one of those, then it would be only bonus, and also, if you know any other good ones, then feel free to enlighten me :)

For those who don't know, Hauppage HD PVR does work with Macs (downloadable software), and it works with EyeTV software too, so no problems with that.;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The EyeTV HD would be my choice. You'll have to read the fine print closely though to see if there would be any problems using it in Finland.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.66 4GB, MacBook (Black), iPod Nano 16GB 5th Gen (Red), iPod Touch 8GB 2nd Gen
Okay, thanks for the tip. Would you have any reasons why to get EyeTV HD? I think that running it in Finland will be no problem.

I had thought that EyeTV 250 Plus or Hauppage HD PVR would have been the best choices, because EyeTV 250 Plus has a game mode, where you can play PS3 and use your Mac as a screen without lag. Hauppage HD PVR is also one of the most used HD video recorders that works for Mac, but I guess EyeTV HD is good too...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.