Snow Leopard and microsoft-ds (SMB) traffic

Reaction score
I work for a school district that has a mixed environment of macs and PC's. We just recently deployed 160 iMacs with SL 10.6.4. We are behind a state managed firewall. Recently I was contacted by a network engineer from the state office telling me that we were flooding our connection with microsoft-ds traffic. Once I looked at the log I found that it was several of my new iMacs sending this traffic. Many had not even been logged into yet. They had just been imaged and were sitting there powered up. We forced a reboot on all iMacs and the traffic dropped to normal. After the macs sit for a day the traffic picks right back up and floods our network again. Some are being used and others just sitting there. Updating have been turned off. Any suggestions on how to solve is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
What is the destination of the traffic?

OP
J
Reaction score
It's hitting our Domain Controller. We have SMB file sharing turned on in all our iMacs. Would this cause this kind of traffic? If so seems like a bug in SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check the DC events that may be failed login attempts.

OP
J
Reaction score
The DC is managed by our state technology department. Getting these events would be like pulling teeth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are the DNS servers for these iMacs? Try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 Those are googles public DNS servers.

I assume the DC is behind a firewall, so that would rule out Bonjour broadcasts.

Were the iMacs imaged locally or right out of the box?

OP
J
Reaction score
Turning off file sharing on all our iMacs solved our traffic issue. Now my question is who's to blame? Is it an issuw with Apple's file sharing protocol or an issue with Windows AD setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try netstat from the Terminal.

With nothing open to see what traffic is leaving the Mac. Then turn on the sharing service to see what changes.

If the DC is on the same subnet it will receive bonjour broadcasts for services supplied by the Mac. 160 Macs broadcasting would be a little silly dontcha think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.