Safari Localized String not Found

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Hiya Guys

My dad has "claimed" to have just done some updates and now he cant open up Safari, it opens and the light comes on under the the icon in the dock but no Windows appears to browse the web. If you Click file and choose New Window, safari just crashes. If I open up Preferences and click extensions. It says localized string not found. See the screenshot. I've tried removing and reinstalling Safari twice now and still cant figure it out. Its Version 5.0.1

Thanks Guys!

Picture 1.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you deleted any localization files recently by chance? Is Safari the only application that this is occurring in or does it happen with other applications?

Take a look at this thread from AI - it's old but it may help.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hiya

Tried the instructions in that link, as soon as I removed the webkit.framework file it wouldn't let me re-install safari saying that Safari could not be installed on the current volume. But once I put the webkit back in it let me re-install Safari and its still a no go, Still cant get a safari window open. Safari is the only application that the problem is occurring in.

Reaction score
It's happening to me too!!

I'm able to open Safari but I have the exact same error message on the preferences>extensions tab. I've been able to install some extensions but I can't manage them at all. Have you found a solution yet?

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope still nothing, ive got him using firefox for now but he would rather be using Safari

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.