imac and os9 issue

F

fenderguitar21

I bought a imac 333mhz with 160ram and a 6gb hdd. it came with os 9 installed and i wanted to put os 10.3 on it. and it worked. i relized it was going way to slow. so i had a friend help me put os 9 back on. but when it formatted and installed i set the startup disk to my hdd and click restart. but when it restarts it shows a folder that flashes a question mark and than it shows the "mac happy face" and that just continues and doesnt boot up. the jumper settings were never changed and no hardware wasnt changed.

thanks

OP
B

Badger

Try zapping the PRAM. If that doesn't work then try reformatting the HD and reinstalling OS 9 again. If you reformatted with OS X it may have removed the OS 9 disk drivers and the OS 9 installer does not automatically reinstall them. Be sure to select the "Install OS 9 drivers" option. (10.3x will run decently on these machines but it would need more RAM. 160 is barely above the minimum for X. If you want to use 10.x max out the RAM.)

OP
F

fenderguitar21

i did zap the PRAM i a reformatted it many times and still wont work. any other ways to fix it?

OP
B

Badger

If you have access to DiskWarrior I'd try that but other than that I'm stumped. The only other issue related to 10 with these models is with firmware. However that affects the CRT not the hard disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Did U update the firmware before upgrading to OS X. A lot of problems are casued when U don't. ALso try replacing the PRam battary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.