.exe Install Question

Reaction score
Hi, just got a macbook pro, this is my first apple computer and I have a few questions!

I've got a copy of Adobe suite from my work that ive been trying and failing to install.. It has a setup.exe, than some folders with data etc. Is there a certain file extension i should look for in the folders that could boot the install without running the exe? I found a setup.xml, install.xml, install.sig dunno if they can do anything... There ISNT a physical install dvd I can use

If it helps the folders are deploy, packages, payloads, resources.

Or will I have to download a program such as parallels? Not too sure how it works, as far as I'm aware it runs windows as a virtual computer while mac is still running??

When I installed this on windows there was a choice for windows or mac install, say I get a program such as parallels and run the setup.exe, than choose mac install, will it install onto the mac or will i only be able to run it using the windows profile?

If this works and is the only way possible.. anyone know of any free software that will do this?! :D

Also bit of a noob question.... Im trying to 'command' tab across to itunes, sometimes it works but other times my internet browser will stay open but the bar at the top says itunes... What am i doing wrong?!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
.exe is a Windows executable file, that should give you a clue as to why it won't install.

Reaction score
Mac OS X opens .dmg, .app and a few others. But unfortunately, .exe isn't one of them.

Parallels, VM Fusion, Virtual Box- they're all virtual machines. You can run Windows virtually through these (meaning that you can have either of those programs open on the desktop in Mac OS X, with Windows running inside of them). This would be a viable option. Virtual Box is free and open source. A bit buggy at times, but still pretty easy to use.

As for the Command+Tab, you just need to expand the iTunes window out of the Dock, or use Expose' to find the iTunes window if it is buried behind the Safari window.- you can do a command+M of the Safari window, and then tab over to iTunes.

OP
J
Reaction score
Mac OS X opens .dmg, .app and a few others. But unfortunately, .exe isn't one of them.

Parallels, VM Fusion, Virtual Box- they're all virtual machines. You can run Windows virtually through these (meaning that you can have either of those programs open on the desktop in Mac OS X, with Windows running inside of them). This would be a viable option. Virtual Box is free and open source. A bit buggy at times, but still pretty easy to use.

As for the Command+Tab, you just need to expand the iTunes window out of the Dock, or use Expose' to find the iTunes window if it is buried behind the Safari window.- you can do a command+M of the Safari window, and then tab over to iTunes.

Cheers! Will give Virtual Box a go when I get home.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK... So I've installed Vista using Virtual Box with a 20GB hard drive. I copied the install files onto the virtual computer, is there any way I can now install it to MAC?

I noticed you can't copy files directly from MAC to VC and vice versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I noticed you can't copy files directly from MAC to VC and vice versa.

Yes you can. Granted it's not that obvious. (Link is for Windows 7 but Vista is so similar it'll do the job):
http://stevesmithblog.com/blog/shared-folders-in-virtualbox-on-windows-7/

That aside I can't imagine that you can install Mac software from Windows.

I'd suggest that you have the wrong install media and that when you run this at work you're seeing a custom installer.

Which version of the Adobe suite do you have?

Is it a pre-registered version from work or do they give you a serial number?

OP
J
Reaction score
Ahh ok thanks for the link.

It's Adobe CS5 Master collection, yeah I have a serial number to enter.

I could bring my macbook in and they have a physical install disk for CS4 but I want 5 which they only have the install files for.

A mate suggested an .exe extracting program might do the trick... I didn't think this was going to be so hard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you have a serial number just download the Mac version of CS5 master collection trial from Adobe and use your serial number to unlock it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips... Wasn't aware of bootcamp that comes on one of the system discs, installed Windows 7 using that, now I can run my Adobe on Windows and vice versa... WOOO

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.