Convert Windows Office to Mac office

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a full version of Office 2007 for Windows, but was wondering if Mircosoft offer a conversion to the Mac Version. i.e. closing down the MS license, and then sending a new license for the same version of software for the Mac?

I know Adobe do this for Photoshop. If you have the Windows version, you can uninstall it on Windows and deactivate the key, then Adobe will send you a new key for the Mac version.

Or, likewise, has anyone tried to update say a Windows 2007 to the latest version but for Mac?

C

chas_m

In the past, MS did indeed offer a "side-grade" (ie pay the upgrade price for Office and we'll just send you the Mac version instead).

I haven't tried it lately, but it did work at one time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
In the past, MS did indeed offer a "side-grade" (ie pay the upgrade price for Office and we'll just send you the Mac version instead).

I haven't tried it lately, but it did work at one time.

Interesting; have never heard of this, although I could definitely have made use of it :p.

AFAIK, there's no such program (or anything equivalent) at the moment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interesting; have never heard of this, although I could definitely have made use of it .

AFAIK, there's no such program (or anything equivalent) at the moment.

I've been using MS Office since way back when and have never heard that either. And as far as MS offering cross licensing, I don't think so. Office is too big a cash cow for them on both platforms.

C

chas_m

Several clients of mine who switched to Macs a few years ago reported success doing this, and I was able to on behalf of an elderly client around the same time (three-four years ago). You have to call them and explain the situation, but basically they offered the then-current MS Office (2004) at the PC upgrade price (you didn't have to send back the Windows version, you already paid for that).

If they're no longer doing that, it's a pity -- but the home edition of MS Office isn't expensive at present so perhaps that has something to do with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If they're no longer doing that, it's a pity -- but the home edition of MS Office isn't expensive at present so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I don't know if they're no longer doing that (actually I didn't know they even did it until you mentioned it), however, what they have done is re-structure the pricing along with the number of allowed installs.

It used to be with the Standard version and the Home and Student version that one could install Office multiple times: 2 x Standard, 3 x Home and Student with certain restrictions.

Now, it appears the Home and Student version may only be installed one time unless the family pack is purchased. I believe $119 versus $149. I haven't heard if the Standard version of 2011 will be restricted to one install or not.

And here's something else that's interesting: The Home and Student version of Office 2010 (Windows) will display the statement at the top of the menu bar - "Not For Commercial Use" Kind of an annoying thing but knowing how paranoid Microsoft is, I guess we should expect something like that. :Angry-Tongue:

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for all your posts. It's interesting that it has been done in the past, and a pity that no one has had experience here trying this recently. If I do succeed or not, I'll certainly post the responses here.

I must say, it really shouldn't be something so difficult or so hidden. MS runs the risk of many switchers choosing alternatives to MSOffice if they don't do something like this to help keep them.

But what surprises me the most is that I can find so little information on the internet about this type of thing. There must be hundreds, maybe thousands of people every day switching to the Mac, and I would assume everyone of them owns software they bought for the PC, which they would now want Mac versions of.

What I would love to see is a list of Software where people have had success or not in converting. If there was a charge involved, etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the reason you don't see more of this being asked is because you can easily run Windows on your Intel Mac. Many of us (myself included) have a mix of Windows machines and a Mac and\or run Windows on their Mac.

C

chas_m

Another reasons is that, at least for some switchers, when they go Mac they don't look back. They buy into the Apple ecosystem and thus replace Office with iWork, which for non-power-users tends to be a delightful and refreshing change that still gets the job done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.