• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP, I'm a newb with camera and imovie!

Reaction score
Before I go into the problem, please understand that I am completely clueless when it comes to computers. I do not use them in my line of work, so my knowledge doesn't go much past surfing the web, sad I know.

Today I picked up a Canon HF R10 for the sole purpose of getting good quality video of my son's football games. I am really interested in going from camcorder to imovie to youtube. While I was at Best Buy, I called over to the Apple store to make sure that the cam would be compatible. The girl I spoke with was extremely helpful and said that the camera is perfect and she actually uses the same one for her film class. She told me that all you have to do is plug in the USB cable to the Mac (3 months old) and imovie will automatically pop up. Well, its not happening that easy. I am very confused on the discs that came with the camera. Two of them say they are for Windows, and the other just says Instruction manual, photo applications, music data disc. I installed this disc and it did not solve the prob. I opened imovie to see if it would bring up the vids I took today, and it doesn't show up. It just tells me to connect a vid cam when the cam is already plugged in. HELP PLEASE! Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I doubt you'll need any of the software that came with the camcorder.

Sorry if this is what you've already tried but please try the following:

1. Run software updater (to make sure your system is up to date)
2. Try a mouse/pen drive/keyboard anything USB in your mac to be sure the USB port is working ok.
3. assuming all is well this far start iMovie
4. connect your camcorder and power it on
5. click the camera icon in iMovie (middle, left of the iMovie window)
6. a capture window should appear like this:
imovie+09.jpg (image)

7. if your camera doesn't show up automatically you can select it from the list bottom left of the import window.

Post back with the results.

OP
V
Reaction score
This is starting to suck. I tried what you said, the camera isn't showing up. When I click on the vid camera symbol on the left it brings up my web cam!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So you've got all the latest updates installed and confirmed your USB ports work OK?

And your camera doesn't show up in the drop down list bottom left?

Does the cameras hard disk show up with your other disks in the Finder sidebar?

Have you tried the camera in different modes? Playback/Record etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I write in thinking that your camcorder uses SD cards?

If so have you tried using the SD card in the card reader of your Mac (assuming it has one, most new Macs do and you say yours is only 3 months old)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something else to note is that manual for the HF R10 implies that the camcorder must be on mains power first before you connect it to your Mac

Sorry for the disjointed posts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
My wife's camera is a canon, different model, but after plugging it in with the camera's power off, the viewfinder light up with a list of options of which I have to choose "PC" and then the Mac recognizes it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back. I'm not sure what I did, but I did get it to work. I think it had something to do with opening imovie first. I was really hoping that imovie would automatically open when I plugged in the camera, oh well no biggie.

Today I'm off to the Apple store for my first one on one lesson. Hopefully I can get good at this imovie thing. I am pretty excited to get going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it working. and thanks for posting back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
The model you purchased is what I decided on also. Best Buy advertised them but do not have any. Are we allowed to mention online companies and ask if they are considered reputable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.