Activity Monitor shows CPU Usage 40% for system???

Reaction score
My wife has a 2009 13" Unibody Macbook Pro that I feel is slower than it should be (slower than my 2007 17" MBP). When I open Activity Monitor, it shows that "% System" is taking up 40% of the processor. My gut tells me this should be something like...10%. Any ideas why this might be happening and how to remedy it?

The full stats of the laptop...

2009 13" MBP 5,5
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 MHz
2GB RAM
500 GB Momentus XT HDD

Thanks everybody!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Activity monitor for my Mac says "% System" is between 5-6%...this is with three applications open.

Here's some ideas:

- when was the last time this computer was restarted?
- when was the last time permissions on this computer were repaired?
- how many applications were opened when you checked the "% System" cpu usage?
- when you checked the "% system" cpu usage...was the computer doing something like rendering a photo in Photoshop...or some sort of other activity that requires constant cpu resources?
- does your wife's computer have a "ton" of widgets and/or other utilities that load automatically when the system boots?

Some stuff to consider:

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What is she running? Take a look through the processes in Activity Monitor and see what may be using up a large chunk of resources. It's also worth noting that something may be starting when she logs in so take a look at the login items for her account (System Preferences > Accounts > click her user > Login Items).

OP
M
Reaction score
She does have Photoshop CS3 running but it is not rendering or doing any processes. The computer hasn't been restarted in a week or so but that's standard (I don't restart mine for a month sometimes).

The weird thing is, the activities that are listed (in order of how much % is being used I assume) doesn't show a definitive source for all this missing CPU power.

I'll try to reboot and see what happens....

OP
M
Reaction score
I rebooted and it seems fine now...when she's worked for a while I will look back in at the Activity Monitor. Thanks for the advice!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The computer hasn't been restarted in a week or so but that's standard (I don't restart mine for a month sometimes).

Sometimes I don't reboot my computer for long times as well (weeks or more). But when it starts to act a little "funky"...the first thing I do is reboot it to see if that clears things up.

Glad to hear the reboot seems to have helped.:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Rebooting is a good way to ensure that any process that was running away so to speak is killed. I don't use Photoshop myself but I imagine that if it was the only huge process running, it was likely the culprit.

You can always use top from the command line as well as it seems to report things slightly differently than AM. I just tried it now with Opera and it was reporting different values. To use top, simply open up a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities), type top and press enter. Once you find the process that is causing you problems, remember the PID (far left column). Push Q to quit top and then enter the following:
Code:
kill PID
Replace PID with the PID from top that was causing you problems. Press enter and voila!

OP
M
Reaction score
After some mild Photoshop work the problem seems to be resolved. Rebooting is usually my first action for a problem, but the laptop seems to have slowed down over the past few months (after several reboots) so I thought it might be something more sinister. If it comes back I'll post another thread. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.