2008 macbook pro not starting

Reaction score
Hello I am new to these forums, I suppose because for the 2 years I've had my Macbook pro It's been the best computer I've ever had and never needed any advice... however now I'm in the middle of a dilemma.

A week ago I closed my macbook pro and went about my day. When returning to the computer a few hours later, I could not get my computer to prompt the login box and it was completely black. I've been a computer owner for most of my life and of course I've always known the best way of solving problems is to reboot the computer. I held the power key until the system reset.

After the reset, I took my finger off of the power button and the macbook immediately died. And that was the last time the computer showed any signs of life...

I took the machine to my university's in house repair service. However they told me of the known issue with the Nvidia GeForce 8600 card and the test needed to diagnose a defective graphics card... and that this test cannot be run on a computer that will not start.

So after that novel that I doubt anyone will read the question is: Am I up the proverbial **** creek because my mac won't start therefore never knowing if the defective Nvidia graphics card caused the problem or not? Or is there a little known method to power on a macbook pro in this condition or a test for the defect that does not involve booting up the computer?

Also curious about the repair quote I was given of $650 + labor... Is that reasonable? If I pay these guys to replace the logic board, will the new board have newer specs? Such as the Geforce GT 330M found on the new units? Or am I paying 1/3 the price of a new macbook pro for the same processor, ram, etc, that I bought in May 2008?

I know the answers to some of these questions may be found on this board already, and I do apologize if that's the case, however I'm having to post this from a computer lab on campus >.< Any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Late '07 MBP - black creen no video output

I'm in the same boat also with my 15" late '07 MBP 3,1 w/ OS10.5.8. :-(

Yesterday, I downloaded the newest security update, did a reboot and now I have a black screen and sometimes get the start up chime. All the keys on the keyboard work for caps lock, number lock and keyboard illumination. Also, I can hear the volume change when I press the volume keys. So my MBP is starting but I visually can't see that it is.

Tried to use the built in DVI port to an exterternal monitor and that doesnt work either. I also rest the PRAM, SMC and even held down the power button on boot for 10 seconds until it made a long wierd sound. The start up chime did sound after that but alas, still a black screen.

I did google the problem and found that there has been an ongoing problems with the Nvidia cards from the '07 MBP's back in '08 up until now....
Apple - MacBook Pro Blank Screen (Built - in and external)
And continued here...
Apple - MacBook Pro Blank Screen (Built - in and external Part II)

This really sucks since there are no proper Apple stores out here in Doha. I guess I'll have to wait until I go back home to England in September to get it looked at. AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! :Angry-Tongue:

If I pay these guys to replace the logic board, will the new board have newer specs? Such as the Geforce GT 330M found on the new units? Or am I paying 1/3 the price of a new macbook pro for the same processor, ram, etc, that I bought in May 2008?

Good question. I'm curious about that too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whooooo-Haaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! I got you all in check!!!! :D
Found this reading on Apple's Support site:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Last Modified: June 10, 2010
Article: TS2377

Symptoms
In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

What to look for:
Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on

Specific products affected:
MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors

MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)

These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008

Products Affected
MacBook Pro, models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors

Resolution
If your MacBook Pro is exhibiting any of the symptoms listed above, please take it to an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for evaluation, or call your nearest Apple Contact Center. Before visiting the Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store, please make a reservation (available in some countries only).

Apple is issuing refunds to customers who may have paid for repairs related to this issue. Please contact Apple for details on the refund process.

Note: If your MacBook Pro is not experiencing any of these symptoms, you do not need to contact Apple.

Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

Bookmark, print and save!!! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Until I can get my MBP fixed, I've tried this:

Command-Option-A-V : Forces an AV monitor to be recognized correctly when starting.

Every once in awhile the screen comes up working even with an external monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.