iphone multiple smtp server settings - workaround

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
So with my current home ISP i can only use their smtp server if i am connected to their network (ie at home). When away from home i have to use my mobile (cellular) networks server.

The problem i was having is that Mail on iphone says that "if the primary server is not available then it will use other smtp servers in succession". Whether this is a bug or if the wording is incorrect i don't know but this is not the case.

If I was at home connected to my network i was able to send e-mail. As soon as i switch to 3G i was unable to, server kept bouncing my e-mails back. You can resolve this by turning your primary server off or on depending if you were at home or not but sometimes i would forget to do this and besides it says if the primary server is not available it would use other smtp severs in succession.

What you have to do is turn off your primary server and add both your smtp servers, Home ISP and Mobile (Cellular Networks) under the "other SMTP Servers" list, in what ever order you prefer.

The iphone will now go through the list of smtp servers until your mail is sent. This way for users such as myself i can send mail from home and away from home without changing setting manually or turning primary server on or off.

Thought i'd let some people know as i'm sure others have got this issue, i know i spent quite a bit of time trying to fix this.

Who do i get in touch with at apple to report this?

C

chas_m

Where I live, people just call up the ISP and get the "travel" configuration (usually just changing the SMTP port number) and use that on their mobile devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So with my current home ISP i can only use their smtp server if i am connected to their network (ie at home). When away from home i have to use my mobile (cellular) networks server.

I see you're in the UK. Out of interest, which ISP has this 'rule'?

Reaction score
I am in South Africa. I have had instances (in the past) where I could merely use the webhost's SMTP codes, but usually this would only work if they were also providing my internet connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.