Internet Explorer for MacBook os x

KOK

Reaction score
Hallo,

I'm looking for a version of Internet Explorer for my Mac. It must be version 6 or above, at the moment all I can find is v5. any help would be greatly appreciated as it means I can do most of my work from home!

Cheers!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Don't believe it exists..if you need a newer version of IE, you'll have to use it within Windows...

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There is no Internet Explorer for OS X beyond version 5. Microsoft stopped development long time ago.

If you need IE, then you'll need to run it via Boot Camp or Parallels/Fusion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hallo,

I'm looking for a version of Internet Explorer for my Mac. It must be version 6 or above, at the moment all I can find is v5. any help would be greatly appreciated as it means I can do most of my work from home! Cheers!

As you've been told IE 5 is the latest for OS X and MS has quit developing a version for the Mac. However, if you're using Safari, you can add the developer menu to Safari by opening Safari preferences and click on the Advanced Tab. Then, place a check in "Show Developer Menu".

Restart Safari. Now click on the "Develop" menu item, place your cursor on the "Agent" selection right arrow.... now select which version of IE you would like Safari to emulate.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Changing your user agent string is only going to help if the page has been coded to prevent non-IE browsers from entering. If the page uses ActiveX, it won't matter what your user agent string is when you try to use it. What is the webpage?

If you do need IE and don't want to run Windows, you could try CrossOver. There is some support for IE 7 and 8. If you do go this route, I would test it first as it may not work perfectly. Here is a list of the versions CrossOver supports and how well they are supported.

Reaction score
I think that my main question would be: why would you want to run IE? Safari, even with all of its flaws (I prefer Chrome) is light-years ahead of Internet Explorer. =/

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think that my main question would be: why would you want to run IE? Safari, even with all of its flaws (I prefer Chrome) is light-years ahead of Internet Explorer. =/

Doesn't matter how far ahead of IE any other browser happens to be, if the site you need only works in IE. We have 2 such sites our business uses. Can't even log into either one of them from a non-IE browser.

Although one of them is now moving into the 21st century. They're in beta testing now getting a new site up that will work on Macs and from IE, FF and Safari. Still doesn't work with Opera though - tees me off.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If a site uses ActiveX, it doesn't matter how good your browser is because only IE supports it. So yes, while many browsers may perform much better, it still has more than 50% of the market and some developers go for the largest user base, not necessarily what's better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Unfortunately if your site needs ActiveX then Crossover and Wine don't seem to work very well. I've gotten IE to work in both but I could never get any of the ActiveX stuff to load. If you are going to an ActiveX site then your best bet is bootcamp and/or Parallels/Vmware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.