Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

Reaction score
Hello I'm am a new Mac user. I am good with all type of computers though, so I am not completely unskilled when it comes to laptops. I love this Macbook Pro, but the only issue I seem to be having is a slow internet connection. I have really good Comcast internet, that works very well on my moms PC. I can get it to run fairly well on my MBP at times, but I'll usually run into an unable to connect screen at some point, or get stuck on a page and can't leave.
Here are speed test results.

If it makes a difference I am using firefox, but I believe the issue happens in all browsers.

Thanks
-Craig

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey guys ! I want more help with this problem please!
Its driving me nuts.
Another thing to note is usually my internet works great first starting up, then at some point itll get stuck. I turn airport off then back on and its fresh again.
What could this be?

Reaction score
I am having the same problem!

Hi,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to macs, iv just made the transfer from pc and i'm trying to sort out my new macbook pro.

I have found that the internet connection is much much slower than it should be. I have been google-ing around and have found no help; I have tried openDNS and google DNS and it still isn't improving my speed even when restarting the macbook.

The speed test results for my macbook are download: 239.5kb/s and upload: 27kb/s.

This is ridiculous when compared to my iphone on the same network
download:1790kb/s and upload: 149 kb/s

Has anyone got any ideas how I can fix this issue? I doubt it's the network as it works fine on my iphone and previous knackered windows laptop (with 3 years worth of junk clogging it up), and this macbook pro is only a day old!

Thanks a lot
Benjy

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to macs, iv just made the transfer from pc and i'm trying to sort out my new macbook pro.

I have found that the internet connection is much much slower than it should be. I have been google-ing around and have found no help; I have tried openDNS and google DNS and it still isn't improving my speed even when restarting the macbook.

The speed test results for my macbook are download: 239.5kb/s and upload: 27kb/s.

This is ridiculous when compared to my iphone on the same network
download:1790kb/s and upload: 149 kb/s

Has anyone got any ideas how I can fix this issue? I doubt it's the network as it works fine on my iphone and previous knackered windows laptop (with 3 years worth of junk clogging it up), and this macbook pro is only a day old!

Thanks a lot
Benjy

It can't be the network. Mine is lightning fast most the time and then BANG it won't load pages. My moms PC can go all day loading pages and never lose it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello I'm am a new Mac user. I am good with all type of computers though, so I am not completely unskilled when it comes to laptops. I love this Macbook Pro, but the only issue I seem to be having is a slow internet connection. I have really good Comcast internet, that works very well on my moms PC. I can get it to run fairly well on my MBP at times, but I'll usually run into an unable to connect screen at some point, or get stuck on a page and can't leave.
Here are speed test results.

If it makes a difference I am using firefox, but I believe the issue happens in all browsers.

Thanks
-Craig

I'm going to suggest that you really have nothing to complain about regarding your internet connection speeds. I have Time-Warner cable modem service...and I'm currently getting:

- 13.55Mb/sec download
- 0.49Mb/sec upload

That's a good bit slower than the numbers you posted...and my speed is just fine!:)

If you're getting those kind of internet speeds...and your computers internet seems slow...I don't think it's your internet connection...it's something to do with your computer.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest that you really have nothing to complain about regarding your internet connection speeds. I have Time-Warner cable modem service...and I'm currently getting:

- 13.55Mb/sec download
- 0.49Mb/sec upload

That's a good bit slower than the numbers you posted...and my speed is just fine!:)

If you're getting those kind of internet speeds...and your computers internet seems slow...I don't think it's your internet connection...it's something to do with your computer.

- Nick

A bad airport or something?
Or is there one little setting that i need to mess with somewhere?
I need a genius to tell me

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need a genius to tell me

Well I don't know about the "genius" part...but I'll give it a shot.;)

Here are some various "generic" things to try:

1. How full is your hard drive? (if it's more than approx. 80% or so full this can start to cause performance issues)
2. When was the last time you restarted this computer?...try rebooting it.
3. When was the last time you repaired permissions?
4. Run disk utility to be sure your hard drive doesn't have problems.
5. Are you running any other programs other than your internet browser when you are having performance issues?
6. Do you have any programs installed that "auto-launch" on rebooting the computer? These could be causing issues.
7. How much ram does this computer have? If you're running too many programs simultaneously that will eat up all your ram...and not leave enough for the browser.

If none of the above helps...is this Macbook Pro still under warranty?...if so...let the folks at the Apple Store check it out.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
I've had the same issue come up, and I don't know how or where I found this solution (which worked for me) - but if you go into your System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced - and go to the DNS tab - add 4.2.2.1, and 4.2.2.2

I'm not exactly sure what these are or what they do, but it cleared up the slow speed problem for me. Perhaps someone here can shed more light on these DNS addresses.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well I don't know about the "genius" part...but I'll give it a shot.;)

Here are some various "generic" things to try:

1. How full is your hard drive? (if it's more than approx. 80% or so full this can start to cause performance issues)
2. When was the last time you restarted this computer?...try rebooting it.
3. When was the last time you repaired permissions?
4. Run disk utility to be sure your hard drive doesn't have problems.
5. Are you running any other programs other than your internet browser when you are having performance issues?
6. Do you have any programs installed that "auto-launch" on rebooting the computer? These could be causing issues.
7. How much ram does this computer have? If you're running too many programs simultaneously that will eat up all your ram...and not leave enough for the browser.

If none of the above helps...is this Macbook Pro still under warranty?...if so...let the folks at the Apple Store check it out.

HTH,

- Nick

thanks for the reply, Ill answer your questions :)

1. Computer is brand new and still has 270Gbs of free space.
2. Restart all the time!
3. Just now doing this, we will see if it makes a difference :)
4. ^^^ Haven't experienced any problems or been notified of any.
5. I have tried only having the browser open, I don't think it really makes a difference. Its a brand new MBP, I imagine it should be capable of browsing and having other little programs open.
6. I believe the only one that auto-launches is Stickies (shouldn't matter)
7. Shouldn't be a problem lots of ram on the new model!

It is under warranty and if it bother me further I may take it in!

Thanks for your reply !
-Craig

OP
C
Reaction score
I've had the same issue come up, and I don't know how or where I found this solution (which worked for me) - but if you go into your System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced - and go to the DNS tab - add 4.2.2.1, and 4.2.2.2

I'm not exactly sure what these are or what they do, but it cleared up the slow speed problem for me. Perhaps someone here can shed more light on these DNS addresses.

Just added the addresses and Ill see if they help. thing is I added googles public addresses and could connect to my college's internet until i deleted them! :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is under warranty and if it bother me further I may take it in!

I think if the problem persists...this is probably the next best step.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Fixed my slow internet/no internet new mbp UNPLUG **** you plugged in

Hello there peoples...

Well, I ran into the same problem with my internet. Bought this thing last week, everything was fine until a couple of days ago when the internet started bugging out. Read and read and read all over for answers....heres how i fixed it:

I figured out the only change that i made from the time the internet worked to the time it crapped out was that I added a bunch of connections: an external mouse, keyboard, firewire audiocard (firebox, presonus), and an out to a bigger monitor.

Guess what? I unplugged all of these things and the internet worked INSTANTLY. Now, I'm not sure which one of these connections is causing the problem, because I did plug these things back in and it works...until it decides to take a crap...so...yeah.

I read somewhere something about the mbp power not being sufficient so it craps the internet out when you attach **** that takes up power (as you can tell I'm not a computer nerd so please bare with ma ****)

I'm out.

Reaction score
Possible OS Update/ Plug-in

I had a similar experience... another computer (a PC) in our house was working fine (and it is usually MUCH slower than my MacBook Pro). I was having about a 30 to 45 second delay before an internet window would begin displaying the little rotating "I'm getting there" icon. I called Apple support, and after troubleshooting, the tech had me remove a plug-in that was a part of a automatic default update, and the problem was gone. I'm back on the forum because I ran another update, and it's doing it again, and I was hoping the step-by-step instructions would be here on the forum... so Apple Support, here I come.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.