Looking for software which will let me edit a .mkv filename

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a .mkv file on my iMac and when I rename it, it works but it also doesn't work.

I rename it by clicking on the .mkv file and clicking Get Info, then I can enter in the new file name there.

But then when I did open the file in VLC Player, it shows the original file name which is something stupid like "dizo".

I'm looking for a program which will let me edit this file name properly (hope that made sense).

Appreciate any help you can give me, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey,

I have a .mkv file on my iMac and when I rename it, it works but it also doesn't work.

I rename it by clicking on the .mkv file and clicking Get Info, then I can enter in the new file name there.

But then when I did open the file in VLC Player, it shows the original file name which is something stupid like "dizo".

I'm looking for a program which will let me edit this file name properly (hope that made sense).

Appreciate any help you can give me, thanks.

Why don't you just highlight the file, press the ENTER key, then rename it that way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, the way you are renaming it isn't the problem (though you are making that needlessly more difficult). The problem is the metadata. VLC has options to change the metadata and save it, but I can't get the changes I make to stick. Unfortunately, I don't know of a metadata editor that supports mkv files, and a brief search was fruitless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so I need to find a program which edits the metadata of a .mkv file.

Yes, "if" you can find one. I can't find one anywhere. Most HTPC apps like Plex and XBMC analyze the video's file name and download the information from websites like TVDB.com, but they don't actually save the metadata in the video itself… just in their own database.

OP
Danaldinho
Reaction score
Yes, "if" you can find one. I can't find one anywhere. Most HTPC apps like Plex and XBMC analyze the video's file name and download the information from websites like TVDB.com, but they don't actually save the metadata in the video itself… just in their own database.
Okay thanks for your help lifeisabeach.

"Life is a beach, and I'm just playing in the sand" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not messed with MKVs for a while but some of the tools on this page may help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.