• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Adobe CS5 Core duo compatibility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hi all,

Apologies if this really has been answered before but had no luck finding any answers with the forum search.

Basically, I am looking to upgrade to CS5 but I run a first gen MBP with the Core Duo processor which I know isn't 64 Bit. It's currently on Snow Leopard.

Seeing as CS5 is all out and out 64Bit, I want to ask what might seem like a stupid question, but...

Will my Mac run the new software? namely After Effects CS5?

The reason I ask is that on the internet all I could get from Google was "It will run Photoshop in 32Bit" and that was it.

From the knowledge I have it's usually the case that 64Bit software will run on a 32Bit system but obviously it won't run at it's true potential speed but something makes me feel that maybe CS5 is a 64Bit "Only" software so getting it would mean my Mac wouldn't be able to open or run the software (apart from Photoshop for some reason, so it would seem)

Any help on this would be great, maybe one of you is running CS5 on a Core Duo machine, either way, would be great to find out.

Mel

C

chas_m

Is there some particular reason you didn't simply look up the system requirements of CS5 from, say, Adobe's web site?

Here's what I got when I googled "CS5 Mac system requirements":

Mac OS
Multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6
1GB of RAM or more recommended
10.3GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash-based storage devices)
1280×800 display with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs
Java Runtime Environment 1.5 or 1.6
QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for multimedia features
Adobe Flash Player 10 software required to export SWF files
Broadband Internet connection required for online services

So yes, your machine is compatible (barely)

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
I appreciate your swift reply, however,

Of course I looked up the system requirements! It's not exactly crystal clear though is it? of course, if you ONLY read the System requirements then it is, but then you can also find this on the ADOBE UK website:

Operating system requirement

Adobe After Effects CS5 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 require a 64-bit operating system.

It requires a 64 Bit operating system, which Leopard is, but does it mean it wants a 64 bit operating system running on a 64 Bit processor? because obviously mine isn't so therefor, on paper and in fact, my machine is a 32 Bit machine running a 64 Bit operating system, at presumably, a 32 Bit pace. Multicore Processor = what precisely? Core Duo, Core 2 Duo? either or only the Cored 2 Duo.

I'm sorry if this seems a bit pedantic, but plumping a relatively large sum of Money for something like the CS5 master collection, I thought I would ask here if anyone had any experience or direct knowledge (other than copying and pasting system requirements at me) of CS5 running on a core duo Mac.

Especially when there isn't one clear answer on the net (that I could find) which says "I have CS5 running on an old Core Duo machine and it all runs fine".

Cheers,

Mel

C

chas_m

I apologize. It didn't occur to me that you might be talking about CS5 from the perspective of video. I'm a print guy, so I was looking at CS5 Design Suite's requirements.

However, my answer still stands as correct.

It requires a 64 Bit operating system, which Leopard is, but does it mean it wants a 64 bit operating system running on a 64 Bit processor?

No. Otherwise they would have said that. They meant that the OS must support 64-bit math operations, which Leopard (well, 10.5.7 or higher) does. And of course Snow Leopard.

Clarification and source of this info: 64-bit kernels and After Effects CS5 After Effects region of interest

Multicore Processor = what precisely? Core Duo, Core 2 Duo? either or only the Cored 2 Duo.

The word "Duo" in Core Duo and Core 2 Duo means 2 processors. Intel only every made one single-proc Core chip, the logically-named Core Solo.

Your Core Duo isn't the latest, but it does meet the requirements. Even for After Effects etc. HOWEVER ...

I'm very concerned that the x1600 graphics chipset in your machine will be insufficient for good performance. There have been reports in the Apple Support forums on this, which may or may not have been resolved. Make no mistake -- CS5 will install and run. But I wouldn't expect it to run very well unless you totally max out the RAM for it, and even then, the x1600 uses 128MB of RAM rather than the 256MB Adobe wants. Could spell trouble.

PS. You're not being pedantic at all. You're trying to be an informed consumer, and good for you. It's a big investment, and as I've said, you're not really running the *ideal* machine for CS5 but you quite rightly wanted to be *sure* it would run. I hope my clarifications have been helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2006, Snow Leopard, 2GHz Intel Core Duo
imac and CS5

Hi..
I have just bought CS5 Production Premium thinking when I was reading the system requirements that my iMac was OK..
My iMac is a 2006 model and has a 2GHz Intel Core Duo processor running on Snow Leopard and I thought that my processor was 64bit and would be OK for CS5 to run on it.
However, when I have gone to install it, when it lists the options for 'what' programs to store 'where' the Premiere Pro and After Effects are missing (therefore not letting me tick a box to install them).

Gutted!!
I thought it would be OK and reading these posts tells me that I am correct albeit they may not perform to their full potential, due to the overall specs of my machine.

Any ideas why I can't even see an option to install these two programs?

Luckily, being a mature student, I only paid £325 for my copy and I will use everything else on the package, but it's annoying that I can't get my hands on After Effects..

Any ideas.

Many thanks

Andy

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Actually, the Core Duo is 32 bit only and does not support 64 bit processes. The Core 2 Duo was the first in the "Core" line to provide 64 bit support. Premier Pro and After Effects both require a 64 bit processor (along with the proper OS).

Here is the Adobe faq - see the section on 64-bit compatability.

Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz

Reaction score
can anybody tell me if this system will support cs5 including after fx and premiere

Modelnaam: MacBook Pro
Modelaanduiding: MacBookPro5,1
Processornaam: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processorsnelheid: 2.53 GHz
Aantal processors: 1
Totaal aantal cores: 2
L2-cache: 6 MB
Geheugen: 4 GB
Bussnelheid: 1.07 GHz
Opstart-ROM-versie: MBP51.007E.B05
SMC-versie (systeem): 1.33f8
Serienummer (systeem): W88509JC1GA
Hardware-UUID: 88657FA1-5F0E-5E46-8BB7-859046A27C4F
Sudden Motion Sensor:

thx
maft

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.