Once again, the old problem of emptying the trash!!!

Reaction score
I have a Macbook with Mac OS X 10.5.8. Since a month ago, my trash won't empty. In fact, when I right click on trash icon in the dock and choose Empty Trash, it makes the sound and the click like it has emptied the trash; but it actually has not!

Note that I am able to empty the trash using 'rm' command in a terminal; but first, this is a pain, and second, I want to know what could have caused this problem and more importantly how I can fix it.

Please before giving any advice read the following points.

1. I don't get any error message when I try emptying the trash.

2. The problem is not with the specific files in the trash. I have tried it with many different files.

3. The files are not in use.

4. The option (alt) key won't help.

5. I check the permissions on the .trash folder and everything is fine (I have read/write permission).

6. I tried "repair permission" in disk utility and it did not help.

7. Finally remember that I can delete the files in trash using 'rm' command in a terminal, but I want to be able to empty the trash using "Empty Trash" button.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I wonder if the system user interface encompasses Trash. I know it affects the Menu. You could try "rebuilding" the systemui plist file. I can't remember the exact name. It's in your Home/Library/Preferences Folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.