resolving web adresses

Reaction score
Hi all

since I've had my mac book pro (couple of years now) there are a few IPs that don't get resolved on the first try...let's say I boot up in the morning and go to a certain site it will just hang... I have to try and try a bunch of time and eventually it will recognize it... sometimes trying to access the same IP via an FTP client (FileZilla) wll speed up the process it seems...

why is this and how can this be fixed? rather annoying since this IP that I can't resolve is a site I need to access almost daily!

any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Pabs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Resolution of IP addresses is down to your DNS server - in your case presumably it's your ISP.

Log into your router, make a note of your exisitng DNS settings then change to a free dns provider like:
Google Public DNS
or
OpenDNS > Use OpenDNS

The google one is fast and easy to setup for testing purposes.

The settings should 'take hold' staright away but you can re-boot your router first to be sure.

Now retry you sites and post back with the results.

If it doesn't work then some more info about your router/ISP/site your're trying to reach would be helpful

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

OP
P
Reaction score
for my router I'm using a Time Capsule... if that makes a diff... I may have the reset the beast since I forgot my password to get in!

OP
P
Reaction score
well...this is strange..

In trying to access my router via an IP (which I still can't do!) I sue to do all the time with my D-link but with the time capsule..no go...
anyway.. I changed secured Shared Disk option in Airport utility... changed it from "with accounts" to "with a disk password"...set a password and reset the router....now the address I was having issues with is being resolved on first try.... .strange...not sure why

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.