4th gen iPod Battery issues

Reaction score
I have a black and white (screen) 4th gen 20gb iPod. It works fine when it's in the Bose Sounddock series II I recently bought, but when I take it off it completely turns off. I haven't used it in about a year since I bought a touch, so I thought maybe the battery was shot. It isn't too big of a deal considering I won't be carrying it around, but when I try to update it on my macbook pro it gives me a low battery signal and will never boot up.

What can I do to get it to load so iTunes will recognize it?

I left it on the sounddock overnight and this morning it still says that it is charging, but like I said, as soon as I pull it off it shuts down.

Is my computer not giving it enough power to run if the battery is indeed shot? What can I do?

Thanks for any advice!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The battery needs to be replaced. You can do the work yourself by going to this site: iFixit: The free repair manual Buy the new battery and follow their instructions for changing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.