New iPhone 4; old 3GS; Sim cards

Reaction score
okay, so I 'm thinking of getting an iPhone 4 (I'm eligible for the upgrade). I currently have a 3GS, and my son has my old 3G. If I get the 4, I would give my son my old 3GS, and sell the 3G.

In term of the 3GS/3G switcheroo, is it as simple as swapping SIM cards from his current 3G to my old 3GS so his number etc., are all good on the 3GS?

If so, what do I do about the "leftover" SIM to get the 3G ready to sell?

thanks for the thoughts on this.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes you should be able to move the SIM from the 3G to 3GS to have it take his number over..you can sell the 3G without a SIM card since the person buying it would probably have one anyway..

If you wanted to sell with the SIM card, you might want to give your carrier a quick call to see how to make it a 'virgin' SIM card again..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If so, what do I do about the "leftover" SIM to get the 3G ready to sell?

Remove it, keep it, or destroy it. Never sell a phone that you have used with the SIM card intact. Too much of a risk of personal data being left on it. And I'm not sure there is a positive way for the carrier to wipe it. They can disable it easy enough but personal data will probably still remain.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.