• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Backing Up HD Vacation Video

WLC

Reaction score
I want to transfer my vacation video to an external hard drive (1TB) which has been correctly formatted to my IMAC. My problem is when I click on the little button at the top of the event block which than shows all available discs the hard drive I want has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the centre. I have tried everything possible to drag these events to the external hard drive but no luck. I have tried dragging photos and other folders to this external hard drive with no problem. Anybody got any ideas what the triangle is telling me and how I can get this vacation movie backed up to the external hard drive so I can start working on it? As the video is a total of 24 days and HD it is taking a lot of room on my hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
comments & questions:

Are you trying to do this in iMovie? If you are, you should mention that in your post and in the title - it seems like you are from your description of where you're seeing the yellow triangle.

The reason I say you should mention that if you are using iMovie is that you'd get someone responding who knows iMovie - which is what would help you, vs someone like me who is reading it who knows Final Cut better then iMovie.

Also, just for reference, the system is an iMac, not an IMAC :)

C

chas_m

Forgive me if I've misread your post but this is what I think I understand of it:

1. You have transferred (via Finder) a copy of the HD vacation footage from your camera onto your boot drive successfully.

2. You want to move *the event you've created* onto an external 1TB drive, and have **iMovie** see the drive so you can edit the footage using **iMovie** is that right?

If I'm understanding this properly so far, the problem is likely to be that the external drive is formatted NTFS and thus can't be written to on a Mac. Is it?

OP
W

WLC

Reaction score
Backing Up HD Movie to iMovie

Yes I was referring to the iMovie application. Also the external hard drive is formatted correctly. In fact I reformatted it again just to make sure I had done everything correctly. By the way I am still fairly new to the iMAC and only use forums when I am really stuck so forgive any transgressions I may write or use. As stated in my first request I have dragged photos and music to this external hard drive with no problem. So if I can get past the yellow triangle in iMovie than hopefully the problem will be solved.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I haven't used iMovie all that much, but I think you have to export your video. Don't think you can just drag like you can with iPhoto, but I could be wrong on this.

C

chas_m

My video has been down loaded to iMovie.

By this I *assume* you mean that the footage is currently residing in the Movies folder of your boot drive.

So the problem is that *within iMovie,* the external HD you want to use is not recognized as valid (or more specifically, writeable)? Is that correct?

If so, try this: in the Finder, select the mounted external HD and get info on it (command-i). At the VERY bottom of the long list of info about the drive, you will see a padlock and a checkbox that says "ignore ownership on this volume."

If the padlock is closed, the "ignore" checkbox may be grayed out. Click on the padlock, enter your admin password, then check the "ignore" box. That may very well fix the issue.

OP
W

WLC

Reaction score
Thanks Trolle; you solved my problems. I did try the padlock route as it sounded easier but than could not find the padlock so came back to the site you said to try. I tried one event and it worked perfectly. I now have 14 long days of our cruise to back up but at least I can now start getting some of my hard drive space back. Again many thanks to everyone, especially Trolle, for the help extended to somebody who has not quite figured out the ways of life on a MAC.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.