.php files?? how can i see them???

R

rypod81

so i have tried dragging/saving certain pics from the internet onto my desktop, and they are .php (??) files...but then when ive tried to re-open them, preview says its an unrecognized/support file format...any tips on getting preview to display them, or a program that i can DL that can display them?

also, i know on PC that once i have the "preview" (its not actually called that) window open, i can use arrow keys to go to the next/previous picture or file saved in that folder. on my PB it seems i must open each individually...any way to correct or modify preview to that??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
PHP files are not image files. PHP is a scripting language used to build "dynamic" websites. To save the images, you'll have to download the image files, which usually have a .jpeg, .gif, .png, or .tiff extension.

You can open multiple items in Preview by selecting them (drag a rectangle around them, or shift-click) and showing the drawer. In Tiger, you can also create a fullscreen slideshow.

OP
R

rypod81

technologist said:
PHP files are not image files. PHP is a scripting language used to build "dynamic" websites. To save the images, you'll have to download the image files, which usually have a .jpeg, .gif, .png, or .tiff extension.

You can open multiple items in Preview by selecting them (drag a rectangle around them, or shift-click) and showing the drawer. In Tiger, you can also create a fullscreen slideshow.

ahh i see. i am not really up on extensions, so i didnt realize that php was script. so i guess for those sites ill just have to somehow figure out how to DL the image and then save it...no dragging =(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Try the following, if the file name is xyz.php, then change the name to xyz.php.jpg. The see if you can preview the file. This works in some cases. That is if it is a true image file.

OP
R

rypod81

rman said:
Try the following, if the file name is xyz.php, then change the name to xyz.php.jpg. The see if you can preview the file. This works in some cases. That is if it is a true image file.

hm ok. i seem to remember on my PC that i could do that. it would automatically show up as xyz.php in the "save as" window, but if i just changed the name to xyz and the extension to .jpg, then it would work....

ill try it out, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.