Dead MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I have had my MacBook Pro for just over 1 year (the 1 year warranty ran out literally 2 weeks ago).
I was using it as normal, I had it on for short of 2 hours, so it was not clearly overheating or anything.
I was using Safari, and then it just shutdown totally unexpectedly. It sounded as if the power had been cut off.
I have tried turning it back on with no success. When it is plugged in to charge, the little green light is only just visible.

Has anyone else had this? Any ideas what could be wrong? How to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
What happens when you press the power button? Nothing at all, just a black screen, no power?

OP
F
Reaction score
Literally nothing is happening. I've tried pressing the on button as normal; I've tried holding it down for a little longer...no joy!

And like I said, when I plug in the charger, the green light is only barely visible.
I'm wondering whether it is something to do with the battery/ power supply....as the sound was similar to that when a desktop computer has had it's electricity supply cut-off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would still take it to the Apple Store sometimes they are generous.

Reaction score
Just a thought here…

Have you tried a different outlet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Maybe even a different charger.

OP
F
Reaction score
Erm, perhaps I've not made it clear.
The Mac will not turn on at all...
I think the charger is still charging, it's the Mac that is lifeless, and I am not at all impressed.
Then Apple to make things worse don't just give you a contact number...you have to search for it...

Is it best to take it to an Apple Store and get 'expert' advice on the spot?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming your MBP will not turn on at all, even on battery? If that's true then you probably need to take it on in to your local Apple store or authorized Apple service center. The symptoms you describe could be related to a failed power supply or other hardware defect. Make sure you get an estimate of the repair cost before committing to repair it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.