Powerbook Purchace Advice

D

dadio2002

I know there might be alot of these but the advice would be great!

From being a long time pc user I want to purchase a 15" powerbook. My delema is the intels coming out next year some time. Do you think its a good idea to purchase one now then later trade it in for the mactel powerbook? I would only loose a couple hundred im guessing. Also I heard about powerbooks being updated this year also for intel even comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
There is no for sure answer to when the Powerbook will make the switch to intel. We do know june of 06 the first ones will come. Its said that will be the mini and I would bet the iBooks and the eMac is its even still made. I would bet the Powermacs and Powerbooks will come later in 07. I just replaced my older Powerbook with a new 15" 1.67 and I have no regrets at all. The PPC stuff will be supports for a long time, even past the Intel switch over. Go get one now and enjoy it. Use it for as long as you can and then get a Intel model when the bugs are all out and its the opnly standard Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I full agree with Acill, getting one now is perfectly fine. We don't know when Mactel models will come out, and PPC will continue to be supported for a long time. Also, Powerbooks hold their value quite well, and I don't think you'll lose much by buying now.

Technology is always changing, getting better. You simply have to pick your day, and buy. Tomorrow something better will be out, but whatever you buy today will still be good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.