New short cut to folder

Reaction score
Hi,

I am have been used on macbook and have progressed slowly to the mastery of os snow leopard(long way off! - cmd lines to learn!).

How to create "short cut" icon (known as alias) on applications folder so I can have it on the task bar? So I can access to applications almost like Windows start button?

Why OSX 10.6.4 wasnt make to make easy to create alias(applications) for the task bar? not to mention apples strive on improve its products on user experience and usability

Thanks kindly in advance for post.

MrKnowNothing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Just drag your applications folder to the right side of the dock.
Do you need it to be easier than that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why OSX 10.6.4 wasnt make to make easy to create alias(applications) for the task bar? not to mention apples strive on improve its products on user experience and usability

Thanks kindly in advance for post.

MrKnowNothing

Given your chosen user name, it's odd that you criticize OSX before you understand how it works, or even the proper terminology. Windows has a "task bar" but OSX has a Dock. Learn the OS and I think you'll find it is very user friendly. Try to make it like a Windows experience, and you'll just be frustrated. Your choice.

C

chas_m

To clarify Fodge's answer a bit:

When you drag a folder and place it in (right side of) the Dock, that creates an alias. The folder doesn't *actually* move from where it was.

Once that's done, you may wish to right-click on the alias in the Dock and choose "display as folder," as I do. That way I know what it is more easily.

Sorry if the above answers seem kind of brusque. We get this sort of question a lot and sometimes forget that the answer is "new to you."

Welcome to Mac Forums and I'm sure you'll get a friendlier reception for your next question.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys for how to get application on a dock.

@toMACsh Hey, I bought it and with this mac forum so I will become MrKnowEverything in no time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
@toMACsh Hey, I bought it and with this mac forum so I will become MrKnowEverything in no time!

Well, it might take a little longer than that. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.