Airport goes in and out on new Netgear router

Reaction score
Hello! First-time poster on the forum. Bear with me =)

I just purchased a new Netgear WNR2000 and my MacbookPro is having lots of trouble staying connected to it. It will cut out constantly. Sometimes it will cut out every 5 minutes and sometimes it can go for a an hour or two before it happens. It will come back on within a couple minutes, but there have been a couple times where I have to turn AirPort off and on for it to come back. If I chose, I can turn AirPort off and on as soon as it cuts out and it will come back immediately. Also, as soon as I run a diagnostics check to see if there is a setting I should switch, it comes back on and the diagnostics says everything is working fine.

Other computers on the network do not have this problem at all. This is also the ONLY network my Macbook does this with.

My MacbookPro was purchased in September 2009. I am running Snow Leopard.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. If you need extra information from me, let me know.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have you got it setup as an N rated network or G?

Have you tried changing the network channel on the router to/from auto?

Have any of your devices go static IP addresses configured?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
How many other networks are around you?
What security do you have enabled(WEP, WPA, WPA2,etc)?
Do you have SSID broadcast?
Do you have MAC filtering enabled?

OP
B
Reaction score
There are about 6 other networks around me, all secure except one.
My security is set at WPA-SPK + WPA2-PSK.
I have SSID broadcast activated.
Using default MAC address?
Not sure about N or G network? Can't seem to find that info.
Everything is pretty much default and auto.
Not sure about static IP addresses.

Sorry! This is probably frustrating coming from someone who doesn't know too much about it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Lots of other potentially conflicting signal in your neighborhood. Try playing around with different channels and see if it stabilizes.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with a new Netgear router on my macbook. for some reason, the Airport won't stay on my home network, and keeps switching around to others.

If the problem is too many other networks, how do I "switch channels", as you suggested?

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm having the same problem with a new Netgear router on my macbook. for some reason, the Airport won't stay on my home network, and keeps switching around to others.

If the problem is too many other networks, how do I "switch channels", as you suggested?

Thanks.

Log into the wireless configuration webpage (the process is detailed in your manual) and look at your wireless settings. There should be an option to select a channel from 1-11.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
WNR2000 Firmware Version 1.1.3.9

Be sure you have the latest Firmware installed. I just checked the above URL and one of the issues fixed was Wireless clients loosing their IP after a short time.

If you read under what the firmware fixes, it appears there are still some issues.

Keep us posted if this helps.

OP
B
Reaction score
My router has the current firmware version but still keeps going in and out. Just strange that it doesn't do this for Windows computers as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was hoping your firmware was old and that solved it. If you read that whole page there is still an issue with the IP address going away in some cases that they have not fixed as yet. I am guessing that might be the issue you are having.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My router has the current firmware version but still keeps going in and out. Just strange that it doesn't do this for Windows computers as well.

Do you have SSID broadcast enabled?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.