can not open user account

Reaction score
My primary user account will not stay open. I don't know of a solution to getting this account to stay open. IF anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. I have temporarily started logging in on another account. I have transferred data from my appleworks folder without any problem. I can not find the folder that has my itunes or iphoto libraries. Also, some of the folders in my first user account seem to be locked for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Have you tried repairing disk permissions?

Finder>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

It's the only thing I can think of right now. What have you installed so far recently before this happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My primary user account will not stay open.
Please tell us what that means. We're not mind readers. Exactly what happens and when?

OP
M
Reaction score
To clarify what happens, my desktop for that initial user account disappears and I get returned to the log in page. I have been told that it may be a hardware issue, as I have on of the imacs where the fan never turns on and it gets fairly warm to the touch. The last thing I installed before this all started was a safari update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The account thing does not sound like a hardware issue to me. You're getting in through another account after all.

Read Mac Help to learn how to migrate from one account to another. Once you're satisfied that your files are safe, then delete the old account. It won't hurt to keep it around unused if you're not sure. If reading that raises more questions, come back and post them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.