How to Network 2 Macs

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am new to this forum, and I tried searching for an answer to my question but haven't hit on anything that seems to be the answer. I have a simple problem (or so I think) that I want to solve:

I want to set up a network between my iMac and MacBookPro so I can-
1. Share files between computers
2. Share printers plugged into my desktop computer w my MPB
3. Access the Internet on both computers

Sounds like this shouldn't be as hard as it is, but I'm running into some roadblocks.

Currently, here's what I'm doing- on my iMac Desktop, I set up a home network "MY HOME NETWORK". When I do this, it disconnects me from the wireless connect on my linksys wireless router. From my laptop, I can find and connect to "MY HOME NETWORK" but then again, I lose internet connection. My next attempt was to try and connect my iMac Desktop via ethernet cord to my linksys wireless router. Bingo: Now I am still connected to MY HOME NETWORK and can access internet on the iMac. Still no internet on the MBP.

Am I on the right path? I feel I'm almost there but missing some key element to get to where I really want to be. Is there a way to set my desktop up like a "server" and connect to it via the Finder>Go>Connect to Server from the MBP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Mandy :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
You don't need to create a new network. Connect both of your computers to your wireless network that is set up on your router (the one where you have internet access). Now just turn on file and printer sharing on both computers. Open the finder and look in the sidebar and your other mac should be listed there. As for installing the printer from the laptop, open system preferences and select printers. Click the add button and the printer should be listed there if you have printer sharing turned on on the iMac. If you have problems, let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
^ What he said is found in System Preferences > Sharing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.