Do I need a firewall

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini and got cable. Not wireless.
I never notice, but do I need or got a firewall on my mac built in? If not, do I, or should I have a firewall on?

If so what are some good firewall software out there for the MAC's? I have OSX.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
OSX comes with a built in firewall, and i can't see the harm in turning it on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The built in firewall is better then the norton one ;)

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Call me an ex-paranoid PC user ---- but I would not have any kind of a DSL / cable (always on) connection without a router / firewall in place -- check out Linksys - Belkin or - D-link

M

mscnln

Ex_PC_Puke said:
Call me an ex-paranoid PC user ---- but I would not have any kind of a DSL / cable (always on) connection without a router / firewall in place -- check out Linksys - Belkin or - D-link

You're an ex-paranoid PC user. You have almost nothing to fear with a firewalled mac directly connected to the internet.

K

Kokopelli

I think you should have a firewall. A "wireless router" or other device with NAT would be good. I have very harsh feelings towards the OS X client firewall. Since I am not feeling the need to rant I will leave it at it does very little.

On the other hand I have not found a 3d party firewall that I like either. Brickhouse locks up my network every couple days. FWBuilder is better on Linux than Mac. Norton is awful. Coding ipfw by hand is tedious. If I had $500 to waste I would install Tiger server on my PB. Since I do not I will just learn to live with what I have I suppose.

OP
shift
Reaction score
How can I check to see if my firewall is turned on?

I do have a router, which Time Warner provided to me. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
enter in the IP Address of the router, you can find this by looking in your network settings on the mac. Enter it into a web browser and you will get a "control panel" for the router.

OP
shift
Reaction score
Hummms. Now I am lost. lol

Newbie here. :D

More detail/ instructions on what to do?

:( Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Open your system preferences.
Go to "network"
Go to whatever you use to connect to the internet, and click "configure"
Go to TCP/IP
Under router, copy the IP address
Enter that into the browser
You'll have to look around in whatever shows up then, all routers are different

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.