• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Adding spoken audio to iMovie

Reaction score
I am making a movie about my family history and have been interviewing my relatives. I have decided that I want to simply use their audio and lay that over various pictures. I can figure that out no problem, but the video files are enormous and eating up my HDD. I have been recording everything on my video camera, but am wondering if I can use a dictaphone.

Can I record the audio on a dictaphone, import that to iTunes, and then import that audio file? Can I edit in the audio (cut, move, etc.) like I can in iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Version of iMovie?

Yes. Figure it out using a song from iTunes. See the tutorial at Apple.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have version 8.0.6.

I know how to add a song from iTunes. I was merely wondering if an audio file from a dictaphone would suffice.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well, you described importing the audio to iTunes and then into iMovie. The process from iTunes to iMovie will be the same, so you can practice what to do there.

If the question is how to get the audio from the dictaphone to the Mac, you may have to buy an appropriate audio cable, assuming the dictaphone has an output and your Mac as an imput which is likely. Just plug in the cable into the audio in-line on your mac and use software to record it. You may also need to know if the dictaphone is stereo or not because that may influence the cable used and software recording setting. Acquisition will be in real time. QuickTime Player may have a record function. Audacity is free and I believe records. I'm not sure if that version of iMovie has voice over recording. Type the word voice into the help menu search box.

Use "The Levelator" to balance out the low and high volumes of each recording.

C

chas_m

I am making a movie about my family history and have been interviewing my relatives. I have decided that I want to simply use their audio and lay that over various pictures. I can figure that out no problem, but the video files are enormous and eating up my HDD. I have been recording everything on my video camera, but am wondering if I can use a dictaphone.

Simpler: take the existing video footage you have, open it in Quicktime, choose "save audio" and save as (new name) in an audio format like AAC.

Now you can simply drop the audio file (which won't take up much space at all) into iMovie over the pictures.

Can I edit in the audio (cut, move, etc.) like I can in iMovie?

It would be better to use a real audio editor. I like Amadeus Pro ($40), but many here would say that Audacity (free) is good enough for the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Can I edit in the audio (cut, move, etc.) like I can in iMovie?

Use Audacity ...... Its free and you can get it HERE .....

OP
T
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the tips.

The reason I want to do this is because the video is eating up all the free space on my HDD and I have no more room on my eHDD. Since I only want the audio to accompany photos in the movie why not record the audio only. That way I can cut down on the video being recorded and the space being used on the computer. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another audio software option maybe GarageBand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simpler: take the existing video footage you have, open it in Quicktime, choose "save audio" and save as (new name) in an audio format like AAC.

Good point. Once the OP has done that they can remove the bloated video they don't want and gain considerable disk space back.

I would use AIFF as the codec though. Linear PCM format at 48kHz, 16bit sample size with quality at best and stereo if appropriate. The reason is that the Apple video editing tools seem to like that the best. Save all the audio files to that setting and there shouldn't be any audio sync issues either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.