Power Mac G3 beige(Tower)

Reaction score
I am new to Macs and have just acquired the above model. I want to upgrade it, i know how to upgrade the hard drive and cards but i am not sure about the processor, what type and speed. I intend to put my dvd drive from my pc in but i have read that it might need an Apple Rom, where do i get this and how do i install it? Has anym one got any guides to help me with upgrading?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would leave it as is. While you can get processor upgrade cards for those old models, you will only get a faster G3 chip and that will set you back over $100.

Give it some more memory (MyOWC at OtherWorldComputing.com), but I would stick with parts you have spare, rather than spending too much money making it a slightly faster G3.

The DVD drive does not require any Apple roms, but just a software driver, is the G3 running OS9 or a version of OSX?

Reaction score
Have to agree with louishen....leave it alone. Most likely the DVD want work anyways...you can burn data thats about it..forget video. Easier to use a home DVD player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.