Macbook Pro - strange sounds?

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 15" and I started noticing a few strange sounds. I've dropped the computer in a bag case which is very protective on the carpet slightly, but I don't think that affected anything.

1) At started, there is an around 4 second sound. I was told that is the hard drive and it is normal, so is that true?

2) Sometimes when I turn the computer, like tilt it to the right or left... It makes a sound that I can't really describe. It is kind of a lamp sound... "ding". I hope you can imagine it. My old Macbook didn't do that, so is this normal?? And what is it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yeah the current gen Macbooks and MBPs don't like being moved around.

They are better off the the earier models. I have no problem with my new 13"MBP but my old whitebook that is what didnt like to be moved around

To the OP im sorry to say mate but if you dropped that 2.54KG MBP then im in the opinion that that is what is causing the noise. You didnt say if they started after the drop but IMO it wouldnt sit well.... I would get it checked out soon as Poassible :)

Cheers

Reaction score
My 13" white MacBook doesn't like to be moved around either.

What you're hearing when you move the computer around is the Sudden Motion Sensor kicking in, locking up the disks during sudden movement. I would suggest not moving the laptop if the hard drive is being accessed for more than 10-15 seconds as the sound will be more of a grinding noise if you move the notebook.

As for your other noise during start up, mine makes a buzz whether or not the audio jack is being used, whether or not the speakers are loud or soft, muted or not. It's just a buzzzzz followed by the chime. Not sure why this is happening, but I can tell you that noise isn't the hard drive. Is that a close description?

I will put this down on record- I have never dropped my MacBook, or bumped it into anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
It sounds like the superdrive turning on?

Reaction score
It sounds like the superdrive turning on?

Someone on the Apple Support forums suggested this, so, in overall essence "funnyimac", this is probably your first described noise.

Reaction score
strnage Sound coming from MacBook Pro

I purchased a Macbook Pro 17" Core i7 and as i have the computer laying on my belly in a reclined position (yeah it's difficult to imagine but it works as I'm using it from a reclining bad, that we have) I can hear an intermediate metal on metal sound. The sound is not profound but a very minimal sound that if you aren't careful or if the room is not quite you would miss. It's disturbing because it appears to be coming from within the MacBook Pro between the keyboard and middle of the bottom case. The sound is muffled but a definite sound as if it were one of those small miniature tinkle bell, that hang on a stuffed animal's ear, brushing against another bell for a moment. OR The sound is as a spinning metal platter, such as a hard drive platter, brushing against another piece of metal or another platter as it spins as if it were maybe not fully tight.

I worried that potentially my hard drive was about to fail so I took it by the Apple Store's Genius bar and was told, by another customer, that his did that and it was normal. The Mac Genius was also standing there and had taken the computer in back and had heard it and offered to exchange it for a new 17" model but said that I could expect that it might do it also because it was normal.

I don't know that it is normal but sounds like it's not unique. I was also told, by the other customer, that it's caused when the hard drive is taking self protection moves to protect itself from a sudden impact or fall. Could be I guess but we'll see. They did make a note of it on my file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.