Mini Display-Port to HDMI Adapter

Reaction score
I apologize in advance I an a new Mac convert after my pc fried so I am still getting use to all things Mac.

I recently bought an Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter. From my research i was under the impression that the mini display port allowed for audio and video via and HDMI adapter. The video works fine but I can not find a way to get the audio to work from my MacbookPro to my HDTV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What Mac do you have? year bought and CPU speed is preferable - ex. 2009 iMac 3.06Ghz

What adapter did you buy? a link to the specific adapter your bought would be best.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Sound - Output - select your TV

If you don't have the option there to change the output to the TV, then the adapter you bought is not going to work.

Which of those suppliers did you purchase it from? Seems there are now mulitiple suppliers all jumping into this single page and not all of them support audio as the original supplier of this page did. At this point, there is no telling which of them even put up the original description of the product.

About all I can suggest is read the reviews and purchase from one of the suppliers specifically noted in the reviews that theirs does work. Ex. see this review.

Reaction score
Macbook Pro to TV questions

I know there are many discussions and threads about this, but I just want to be sure about it before I go out and buy adapters and stuff.

First off, I just purchased my 15 inch Macbook Pro yesterday. I love it so far and no problems yet and I don't expect to have any. Since I just purchased it I am assuming its the model that supports audio out through the mini display to hdmi. Am I correct?
so if i purchased this adapter
Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI TV Monitor Adapter for Macbook: Electronics

I should get sound through my TV with HDMI, correct?
should I check my production date?
thanks
-Craig

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read thru this thread before you buy and try.....

Regards.

Reaction score
I am working and researching the same thing. People state in the reviews that only certain adapters from certain suppliers carry sound.
They state that Pro eBiz llc's product carries sound. Bad news is i can't seem to find their product!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They were not the original ones. At this point with over 20 people selling it new, I don't have a clue which one it was.

My best guess, If I was going to take a chance, I'd try the one from GSI. Theirs has the correct price point of the one I've seen reported to work. My other choice would be to try the one being fulfilled by Amazon.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note: merged these two threads so all the info is in one place.

Moved to more appropriate forum also.

Reaction score
Good News. After reading more reviews/comments on the product, I discovered the company making the one that supports audio has changed their name several times. They are now "Bear Motion Electronics" . I contacted them through email and they stated they are the company making the correct one and they are the same company.
Here is a link to the working one:
Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI TV Monitor Adapter for Macbook: Bear Motion

Hope that helps!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the leg work. They are also the ones that are being fulfilled by Amazon at this time. It'd be a little cheaper that route if you're a Prime member.

Give us a shout back after you get it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Turns out that I must have got one that doesn't actually carry sound...oh well it was only $3 and works really well for multiple displays, great picture and such. I may be new to Macs but I knew I wasn't completely missing something

Let me know how it goes if you get this one from Bear Motion.

Thanks for all the help bobtomay and the rest of you!

Reaction score
Turns out that I must have got one that doesn't actually carry sound...oh well it was only $3 and works really well for multiple displays, great picture and such. I may be new to Macs but I knew I wasn't completely missing something

Let me know how it goes if you get this one from Bear Motion.

Thanks for all the help bobtomay and the rest of you!

Aww thats too bad, whatever its $3!
I ordered the bear motion one. I'll keep you updated on how it works! :)

Reaction score
Received my adapter today! Just used it and it works great and transfers sound! :)
If you need help finding the right one on amazon let me know!
Ill navigate you to the right seller!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.