Invalid B-tree node size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac / 3gb ram
Guys, I need some help.

I removed my bootcamp partition, and resized my Macintosh HD partition using Drive Genius. When I rebooted the finder was reporting an incorrect free/used number, but the Disk Utility was showing my main partition correctly. I attempted to Verify and then Repair the Macintosh HD, but go the Invalid B-tree node size error. I assume my mucking around with the partitions had something to do with this.

I then attempted booting from my Snow Leopard DVD and attempting to repair from the Disk Utility again. No Dice.

Rebooting once again, the computer now shows the grey screen, and then shuts off. So I boot from the Drive Genius DVD and attempt to repair. Again, it fails saying Invalid B-Tree node size.

I then booted into single user mode and tried /sbin/fsck -fy but it also failed.

I am at a total loss here. I don't have a backup, and that's not an issue. I would nuke and pave in a second if it wasn't for my childrens photos that I don't want to lose.

Please Help!

Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your best bet now is to use recovery software to get the kid's photos off the drive and then do an erase - reinstall. I'm not sure if Disk Warrior can handle the Invalid B-tree node size error without losing what files you have on there. You might want to try using Data Rescue 3 instead. I believe both have trial versions you can download and test with before buying a license.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac / 3gb ram
Yeah, I've heard that disk warrior can do the repair, and I've also had a look at Data Rescue 3. I'm actually feeling pretty sick to my stomach over this right now. Might be best to look at it tomorrow fresh.

I have access to another Mac.. Should I try targeted disk mode first to see if I can just get the files off the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Target disk might work, yes.
Normally fsck will fix this, so such a pity it hasn't. Back when it was valid Norton Utilities could fix it too, so no reason to believe the DW won't.
Ultimately though a clean install will be the best way, if you can recover what you need.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac / 3gb ram
**Update**

So this morning I went into single user mode with my new 16gb USB thumbdrive. I mounted the drive and tested copying a few files to it. No problem.. I tried to unmount the usb drive, and either couldn't figure out the proper way to do it, or was following bad instructions, but the gist of it is, i finally gave up, typed exit at the prompt, and suddenly was looking at the user login screen for os x...

I logged into my profile and promptly started backing up my photos... 6 hours it's telling me to do the backup over the network to the mother in-law's macbook.. no prob.. i will spare 6 hours to save my photos.

Finder is still reporting incorrect used/free space, so I know I will be reformatting this drive eventually. Anyone have any ideas as to how I was suddenly able to boot again? I am not going to attempt to repair anything or reboot at this point until everything I want is backed up.

Oh.. and I bought the firewire cable to attempt the target mode from the MacBook.. but it's a newer MacBook without firewire :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Finder is still reporting incorrect used/free space, so I know I will be reformatting this drive eventually. Anyone have any ideas as to how I was suddenly able to boot again? I am not going to attempt to repair anything or reboot at this point until everything I want is backed up.

Call it luck, call it because of your clean living, or whatever. O:) Anyway, at this point don't mess with anything until all your data is backed up. And then copy those precious photos to DVDs where you won't have to worry about losing them to a hard drive error or crash.

After you erase and reformat that drive, keep a close eye on it. At the first sign of an error, remove it and replace it. In the meantime make backups!

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac / 3gb ram
Well I got everything I wanted backed up to another MacBook via a direct ethernet connection. After that, I attempted to reboot again, and had the same issue. I put the DiskWarrior boot disk in, and it did manage to repair the node tree. I'm good to go.. However, finder still reports total size as being 205gb (smaller than it should be), and Disk Utility reports the drive is 250gb, my Macintosh HD partition is 249gb. So I'm missing 30+gb, which, not surprisingly is the exact size of the partition i deleted before this whole fiasco started.

If I do a reinstall of the OS (archive and install), will it remap the partition tables, or will i have to reformat the entire drive and do a whole new install to get that 30gb back?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I do a reinstall of the OS (archive and install), will it remap the partition tables, or will i have to reformat the entire drive and do a whole new install to get that 30gb back?

No, the partition table can only be remapped manually or with third party software. iPartition ($44.95)

In order to get that 30 GB back without using third party software, you're going to have repartition from Disk Utility while booted from your install DVD. It may be worth a try though. Make sure you have valid backup before proceeding.

If the 30 GB shows up as free space just drag the partition line thru the entire drive and press "apply". If it shows up as another partition, remove it first before repartitioning the drive as one.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac / 3gb ram
Okay. So I got a nice 1tb external drive, set up time machine, and backed up the whole system. So, my next steps are as follows?

1. Boot mac using snow leopard cd
2. Use disk utility to reformat the entire iMac drive to reclaim the missing 30gb
3. Reinstall OS X from my time machine backup

That should fix everything up I assume. Any missing steps before I dive in? Seems pretty easy to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
This is the correct solution. I did just this and it worked perfectly. I would download the combo update to the external or thumb drive and your recovery will be faster. I would install the whole OS (including the Combo and all updates) before restoring the Time Machine as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.