Help with Mounting External HD

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Os X Version 10.5.8. I recently purchased a SeaGate FreeAgent Go 500GB External HD for backup purposes. When I plug it into the USB port, the Free Agent lights up and it sounds like it's working (I mention this because it seems that there is some issue in the forums about power supply) . When I try to mount it via disk utility, it doesn't show up. I've also installed the NTFS 3g for macs so that I can move it back and forth between macs and PCs. Any ideas or help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You shouldn't need Disk Utility to mount the Seagate regardless of how it's formatted. Does the drive mount when you plug it into a USB port? Also, the drive may be formatted as FAT-32 rather than NTFS.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
You shouldn't need Disk Utility to mount the Seagate regardless of how it's formatted. Does the drive mount when you plug it into a USB port? Also, the drive may be formatted as FAT-32 rather than NTFS.

Regards.

Thanks for helping out. It doesn't mount when I plug it into a USB port. As far as I can tell from the box, it's NTFS formatted. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it won't mount, it could be that your USB port is not providing enough power. Did you try another port? Or do you have a dual USB cable that you can try? That's a cable with two USB connectors on the output end and one on the receiving end. It enables the drive to use two ports at the same time.

If none of that works and the drive refuses to mount, contact Seagate and ask for a RMA as the drive may be defective.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.