Making a Fresh Time Machine Backup After Snow Leopard Upgrade?

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Before upgrading, I made a Time Machine backup in Leopard, to my external hard drive. After a couple of days of trying out Snow Leopard and making sure all was functioning well, I ran Time Machine and added to the existing Leopard backup I already had. Time Machine seems to function fine, but my question is this -- Is it better that now I am using Snow Leopard, to format my external drive and make a fresh from scratch backup with Time Machine? My concern of course is, if I ever do need to restore my Macbook, that the current backup will work ok.

What method did you use, and what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Kimber

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you are like myself and could care less about being able to retrieve data that you've deleted from last month/year/etc and/or previous versions of files, then you can do as I did - delete the old TM backup and start over again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you are like myself and could care less about being able to retrieve data that you've deleted from last month/year/etc and/or previous versions of files, then you can do as I did - delete the old TM backup and start over again.

That is also what I do when I want a brand new fresh backup using Time Machine. Just delete all the old Backup data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Just Delete It

Plus 1 for deleting the old Backup.
Actually I take the opportunity to "format the disk" which cleans up any disk errors or permission problems.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I had no choice but to reformat my Time Capsule after I was all set up on my new iMac. The backup from the old Mac took up too much space. I actually had trouble trying to delete the old backup for that Mac.

OP
Kimber
Reaction score
Great! This is the option I was leaning toward, for peace of mind alone. :)

I'll make sure to format the drive and run a nice, new backup.

Thanks again!

Kimber

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.