Using USB Hubs with G5

Reaction score
Hi There,

I have tried to use USB hubs with my G5 but seem to loose connectivity and cannot access my printers or scanner. Does anyone know a specific process of linking them up?

Regards

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are these hubs bus powered (draw powered only from the usb port) or self-powered (separate electrical cord for the hub? I tend to use the self-powered variety whenever possible particularly when connecting high drain items like hard drives.

BTW by "linking them up" do you mean that you are trying to chain two or more hubs together?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Mains powered hubs are the better option.

OP
C
Reaction score
The UHB hub is not powered at all and I am linking up printers and a scanner. When I do not use the 'native' USB connection on my G5 the peripherals are not recognized??

Many thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I would try it with a hub that has separate power and not just draw power from the USB bus to see if that helps. I would bet that the USB bus is not providing enough power for all of the devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.