help with failed DVD burn - disc stuck in machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
Well, as usual things in the Mac world have turned a little dicey when there's no one to call at Apple Care! But, as I have pointed out, you guy's are the geniuses behind all technical stuff Mac!

I've been playing with videos, and successfully I might add, but when I put the disc I wanted to burn together it was 5.6 GB. Too much for a standard DVD. When I went to the store today I bought a pack of DL +R DVDs. I popped the DL DVD into my Mac Mini and dragged the files I wanted to burn into the DVD folder, started the burn process which made it to the 40 something % point, then got an error message that the laser couldn't write with (something, something, something) that much data. Sorry I can't be more helpful with the error message, but I thought I would be able to just eject the DVD and try again. Now the DVD is gone from the desktop, and the disc is still in the machine. I've tried booting in Safe Mode with the same result, there's no DVD on the desktop. I've opened Finder and it still has Unwritten DVD in the right panel, but, when I right click I don't have an option to eject the disc. Before I started the process I did look into my system info and it did indicate it had burn capability for DL DVD +Rs.

How do I get this unrecognized DVD out of the machine. I'm out of guesses at the moment, and the beauty of the MS DVD burners was there was a button to eject the disc. It didn't rely on the OS software to recognize the disc and allowed a hardwired eject.

Help me get this disc out of the machine PLZ!

Other than that I love my MAC's!

Arthur

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you tried pushing the optical drive "eject" button in the upper right corner of the keyboard?...it's the key with the triangle symbol with a line under it.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
Problem solved... Should have thought of disc utility - which showed the disc I was trying to burn and when right clicked allowed an eject option. Sorry to have been a bother, but, hopefully this will help with the collective knowledge base amongst switchers that are having problems!

If you read the thread, Thanks for all the answers I've received from here!

Arthur

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know that was what that button was for. In the future I will look for it. Thanks for the tip!

Arthur

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Problem solved... Should have thought of disc utility - which showed the disc I was trying to burn and when right clicked allowed an eject option.

That was going to be my next suggestion.;)

Good deal getting the problem solved!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.