• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Terrorists strike again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Azzhole terrorists!

--------- Incoming Moderator Message --------------
Notice: This thread was split from the other thread due to the tangent arguments that have skewed from the original topic. Flame on!
----------------------------------------------------------

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
sigh* Sad day.

--
Its almost a shame we react like this to a terrorist bombing in london, but when it happens every day in other parts of the world we don't bat an eye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its silly but remember they feel like we are the bad guys. Look at it from both sides. Many of us are lead to believe they are just being jerks. The truth is, we have been jerks to them, and they are responding in a way that is 'payback'. Sure its wrong, but they want to get us out of their world.

We should talk to your governing bodies to correct this mistake, its a simple power struggle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
payback for what? living in a free country?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Payback for everything after WWII. Im not talking about recent history of our invasion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, Graphite has a point. I think a main thing for us to recognize too is that Europe has had to deal with terrorists much more than us in the US. In the US we hear about Al Qaeda a lot, but they've been fighting the IRA for a loooooong time too (England anyways).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Payback for everything after WWII. Im not talking about recent history of our invasion.
ahhh!

After 9/11 the US became even more united. I expect it will be the same in London. Terrorists expeect us to fall apart after these attacks but they have only brought us closer together.

I

iMe

macAttack said:
ahhh!

After 9/11 the US became even more united. I expect it will be the same in London. Terrorists expeect us to fall apart after these attacks but they have only brought us closer together.
A-men!!!!......I remember being in 6th grade when 9/11 happened. Everybody went home early to be with their families. Life's too-short...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
macAttack said:
ahhh!
After 9/11 the US became even more united. I expect it will be the same in London.

These guys seem like they get hit at least once a year now. I expect they are already really united. Still, I think we must all hold our resolve together against the terrorists of the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iMe said:
A-men!!!!......I remember being in 6th grade when 9/11 happened. Everybody went home early to be with their families. Life's too-short...

It seems like places outside of NYC reacted much more than people in NYC. I live 20 minutes from Manhattan and I was in school both days, my dad went back to work (didn't even leave early on 9/11) and except for people who lost family members most people were back in school the next day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Graphite said:
Its silly but remember they feel like we are the bad guys. Look at it from both sides. Many of us are lead to believe they are just being jerks. The truth is, we have been jerks to them, and they are responding in a way that is 'payback'. Sure its wrong, but they want to get us out of their world.

We should talk to your governing bodies to correct this mistake, its a simple power struggle.

I could almost buy your line IF this were an attack against the British government or against the British military. However, it wasn't. It was an attack against innocent people. So with that simple fact in mind, I see no reason to understand their "side". Their "side" is the cowardly murder of innocents. And that I will never understand or ever try to understand.

I wish the British people well, and remember with respect their support when our country was attacked. My thoughts and prayers to all affected by this tradgedy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
dan828 said:
I could almost buy your line IF this were an attack against the British government or against the British military. However, it wasn't. It was an attack against innocent people. So with that simple fact in mind, I see no reason to understand their "side". Their "side" is the cowardly murder of innocents. And that I will never understand or ever try to understand.

Absolutely correct... dan828 you said what I was too angry to figure out how to put into words. This is not an act of war... This is cold-blooded murder... For which there is no understanding... nor should there be. There is a huge difference.

I

iMe

I was just watchin the news and heard the dumbest and most uninspiring quote I have every heard from our "so-called" president Bush. All he stated was, "The war on terror goes on!!!!" I mean honestly, could he have thought of something better to say to releave the stress comming from all those families.

Please dont consider me a "Bush-hater" but, it just upsets me that our troops may have to stay on duty even longer. Especially when you have family involved......... :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMe said:
I was just watchin the news and heard the dumbest and most uninspiring quote I have every heard from our "so-called" president Bush. All he stated was, "The war on terror goes on!!!!" I mean honestly, could he have thought of something better to say to releave the stress comming from all those families.

Please dont consider me a "Bush-hater" but, it just upsets me that our troops may have to stay on duty even longer. Especially when you have family involved......... :eek:neye:

Go out and download the whole video before you start attacking him... The main media sources only played one part of that speech... And naturally it was the one that made him look like a war-monger. He said ALOT more than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
I only hope that one day, the religions will stop to be an excuse for those stupid killings...and not only in europe, but everywhere around the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This will be my last post in this thread, and I suggest it goes back on topic of sympathy for our English cousins. Or it will get locked.

Wow guys.. I think you guys are looking at this all wrong. Your taking what IM saying as if I supported these attacks. I do not think anyone should die for any reason. Though, I am reasonable and I have the apparently unique ability to see all sides of the situation, and I am open to suggestion and ideas that differ from my own so that I can further improve myself.

dan828 said:

I wish the British people well, and remember with respect their support when our country was attacked. My thoughts and prayers to all affected by this tradgedy.

He sees no reason to see 'their' side. Seeing the otherside is what separates intellectuals from ignorants. Agreeing with it, is another story and no one is saying we agree with it.

sarahsboy18 said:
Absolutely correct... dan828 you said what I was too angry to figure out how to put into words. This is not an act of war... This is cold-blooded murder... For which there is no understanding... nor should there be. There is a huge difference.

Again understanding is not agreeing. Sigh*

Alright, I can understand children buying into this whole Idea that they just 'hate us', and were innocent and have not helped them hate us.

Many of you do Not know the whole story, its just kinda brushed under the table, like if we don't tell you about it.. it never happened! this is false. I would also like to say again, I do not support any of this, I am merely bringing news to your attention. (these also do not justify it, nor is there justification for our own actions)

Why do 'they' hate us?(just a few of many):
1. reasons like. The United States has backed for authoritarian regimes (arming Saudi Arabia, training the secret police in Iran under the Shah, providing arms and aid to Turkey as it ruthlessly attacked Kurdish villages, etc.).
2. 1949: CIA backs military coup deposing elected government of Syria.
3. 1953: CIA helps overthrow the democratically-elected Mossadeq government in Iran (which had nationalized the British oil company) leading to a quarter-century of repressive and dictatorial rule by the Shah, Mohammed Reza Pahlevi.
4. 1956: U.S. cuts off promised funding for Aswan Dam in Egypt after Egypt receives Eastern bloc arms.
5. 1956: Israel, Britain, and France invade Egypt. U.S. does not support invasion, but the involvement of its NATO allies severely diminishes Washington's reputation in the region.
6. 1958: U.S. troops land in Lebanon to preserve "stability".
7. early 1960s: U.S. unsuccessfully attempts assassination of Iraqi leader, Abdul Karim Qassim.
8. 1963: U.S. supports coup by Iraqi Ba'ath party (soon to be headed by Saddam Hussein) and reportedly gives them names of communists to murder, which they do with vigor.
9. 1972: U.S. blocks Egyptian leader Anwar Sadat's efforts to reach a peace agreement with Israel.
10. 1973-75: U.S. supports Kurdish rebels in Iraq. When Iran reaches an agreement with Iraq in 1975 and seals the border, Iraq slaughters Kurds and U.S. denies them refuge. Kissinger secretly explains that "covert action should not be confused with missionary work."
11. 1979-88: U.S. begins covert aid to Mujahideen in Afghanistan six months before Soviet invasion in Dec. 1979. Over the next decade U.S. provides training and more than $3 billion in arms and aid.
12. 1980-88: Iran-Iraq war. When Iraq invades Iran, the U.S. opposes any Security Council action to condemn the invasion. U.S. soon removes Iraq from its list of nations supporting terrorism and allows U.S. arms to be transferred to Iraq. At the same time, U.S. lets Israel provide arms to Iran and in 1985 U.S. provides arms directly (though secretly) to Iran. U.S. provides intelligence information to Iraq. Iraq uses chemical weapons in 1984; U.S. restores diplomatic relations with Iraq. 1987 U.S. sends its navy into the Persian Gulf, taking Iraq's side; an overly-aggressive U.S. ship shoots down an Iranian civilian airliner, killing 290. We are just playing chess with their countries and lives.
13. 1981, 1986: U.S. holds military maneuvers off the coast of Libya in waters claimed by Libya with the clear purpose of provoking Qaddafi. In 1981, a Libyan plane fires a missile and U.S. shoots down two Libyan planes. In 1986, Libya fires missiles that land far from any target and U.S. attacks Libyan patrol boats, killing 72, and shore installations. When a bomb goes off in a Berlin nightclub, killing three, the U.S. charges that Qaddafi was behind it (possibly true) and conducts major bombing raids in Libya, killing dozens of civilians, including Qaddafi's adopted daughter.
14. 1984: U.S.-backed rebels in Afghanistan fire on civilian airliner.
15. 1988: Saddam Hussein kills many thousands of his own Kurdish population and uses chemical weapons against them. The U.S. increases its economic ties to Iraq.
16. 1991-: Devastating economic sanctions are imposed on Iraq. U.S. and Britain block all attempts to lift them. Hundreds of thousands die. Though Security Council had stated that sanctions were to be lifted once Saddam Hussein's programs to develop weapons of mass destruction were ended, Washington makes it known that the sanctions would remain as long as Saddam remains in power. Sanctions in fact strengthen Saddam's position. Asked about the horrendous human consequences of the sanctions, Madeleine Albright (U.S. ambassador to the UN and later Secretary of State) declares that "the price is worth it."
17. 1991-: U.S. forces permanently based in Saudi Arabia.
18. 1993-: U.S. launches missile attack on Iraq, claiming self-defense against an alleged assassination attempt on former president Bush two months earlier.
19. 1998: U.S. and U.K. bomb Iraq over the issue of weapons inspections, even though Security Council is just then meeting to discuss the matter.]

Source 1: 19 and many more
Source 2: Interesting Read
Source 3: NewsWeek
Source 4: Another Interesting read

Tell me how would you feel if say Iraq 'land in US' (invade) to preserve 'stability'.. for their own personal gain.

"You cannot tell me, that the killing of innocent civilians is wrong if you believe that it depends on the boarders which they live behind."

We have radicals in the united states that would bomb the helI outa anyone, just the same there are radicals in other countries that bomb the helI outa us.

AGAIN, I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE DEATH OF ANYONE. BUT AT LEAST EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE YOU JUST FOLLOW THE BANDWAGON OF PLAYING INNOCENT WHEN WE ARE NOT.

"?" = "-"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
dan828 said:
Their "side" is the cowardly murder of innocents. And that I will never understand or ever try to understand.

what about the 5,000-10,000 during the last USA invasion and that "under international law the US was not liable to pay compensation for injuries or damage occurring during lawful combat operations" [source].

and lets not forget 2,000 innocent civilians who died during the 1991 Gulf War.

"All I am saying, is to give peace a chance" - John Lennon [1940-1980]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
Have to 100% agree with you Graphite... And I'm really proud to see that some american too, can see what 95% of the rest of the world think! When you spit in the airs, one day, it will falls right down on your nose!

But everything depend on our perspective... last week american soldiers killed near of 40 civilians by mistake in Afghanistan!?!..... War is soooo stupid!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite said:
"You cannot tell me, that the killing of innocent civilians is wrong if you believe that it depends on the boarders which they live behind."

We have radicals in the united states that would bomb the helI outa anyone, just the same there are radicals in other countries that bomb the helI outa us.

AGAIN, I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE DEATH OF ANYONE. BUT AT LEAST EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE YOU JUST FOLLOW THE BANDWAGON OF PLAYING INNOCENT WHEN WE ARE NOT.

"?" = "-"

First of all.... I don't see our soldier's being ordered to strap bombs to their bodies and attack crowded markets where women and children are. Death happens in war... civilians get killed sometimes... But our troops are not aiming for them... Certainly not to the degree that the terrorists are.

Second, I don't have to "buy into" the idea that the Muslim Terrorist community hates us just because they do........ Go pickup a copy of The Holy Qur'an and read if for yourself. It CLEARLY endorses and CALLS FOR the destruction of all infidels (people who don't believe what they do.) As well as promises rewards to those who carry it out. This is part of the whole thing that I don't understand why the media ignores. Their religion... the base of their idealistic beliefs states it clearly.

Also, your list of evidence doesn't even come close to the list of vicious attacks that have been carried out on a day to day basis by these terrorists towards countries like Israel... America isn't perfect... There are always two sides to every story... But to say that we are somehow even in wrongdoing... Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.