Power Mac G5 AND quicksilver WONT turn on -_-

Reaction score
Both of my computers (different years and calibers) are having the EXACT same problem...

When their apple display's are connected (tried both displays on BOTH towers) they do not power on. No noise, no Lights... the G5 clicks constantly when i connect the monitor...

HOWEVER... when i Do Not connect the monitors to Either one, they turn on Just fine...

Any insight??

Thank you :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When their apple display's are connected (tried both displays on BOTH towers) they do not power on. No noise, no Lights... the G5 clicks constantly when i connect the monitor...

What sort of Apple Displays are we talking about?...CRT or LCD, and what sort of video connector/cable do they have...VGA, ADC, DVI, etc.?

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Display

They are the type that connect without a power cable... ADC i'm guessing

The G5 works perfectly fine with a DVI or VGA monitor connected...

We just connected the quicksilver to another WORKING apple display... and now That display Also does not work...

Sounds like this Quicksilver has an electronic form of an monitor STD o_O... Only logical explanation at this point.

Took the tower to some quack that does local mac repairs and his answer was

"The monitor is the problem" (no **** sherlock) and that "it would be too time consuming to repair"

i refuse to believe 3 monitors Do not work whatsoever especially since one was working 5 mins before we tested on the quicksilver tower... I'm out of explanations. Sticking with the STD one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The ADC port provides 28 Volts DC to the monitor. That is strange that a 3RD working Apple display now does not work since it was also plugged into the Quicksilver. I wonder if something is wrong with the power supply and that 28 Volt rail that is messing up the displays.

Now all 3 will not power on when plugged into your G5?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When (if ever)...was the last time this Apple monitor worked & what computer was it attached to when it worked?

This Apple monitor with the ADC connector definitely should work with the G5 (which I'm assuming the G5's video card has an ADC port). I have a Powermac G5 with an Apple LCD display with the ADC connector...and it works just fine.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is what I was trying to ask but you worded it a lot better. I have never heard of this happening before.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never heard of this happening before.

Yes it does sound like an unusual situation.

I guess I'm getting a little confused. Rereading the original post (post #1)...it appears that we're talking about TWO monitors (I'm assuming two monitors with ADC cable) & two computers (PowerG5 & a Quicksilver). And that both computers are not operating properly after the "ADC" monitors are connected.

- Nick

Reaction score
Sounds like theres to much power on the ADC port if its crashing the monitors...stop plugging in monitors to the QS video port (We just connected the quicksilver to another WORKING apple display... and now That display Also does not work)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.